Chapter 3

Jack closed his mouth. Only to open it again when he looked outside.

Hundreds, maybe thousands of Walkers were coming towards us.

I spotted a ladder. It looked like it lead to the roof, so I grabbed onto it.

"Max, up." I whispered. Like I said, Max is a smart dog. He's strong too. I mean, he is a German Shepherd. Well, the mix of a German Shepherd and a Dire wolf.

He leapt onto the ladder, and we began to climb up it. "Hey guys, move it or lose it." I said, and we climbed up onto the roof.

"Whoa..." I said. Mark whistled. "That's a lot of zombies. Hey, these roofs don't seem too far away from each other. Maybe we can jump from roof to roof. And--wait. OH MY GOODDD!!! CHIIIICAAA!!!"

Mark screamed. He started going back down the ladder, but I grabbed him and pulled him back. "Let us handle this. Max, fetch." Max barked and started down the ladder.

A couple seconds later, Max came back up the ladder with Chicas collar in his mouth. Don't worry, Chica was still attached.

Chica whimpered and ran over to Mark. He checked her for bites, found she was clear, and continued on with the plan.

"So about the roofs," he started, but I interrupted him. "Can't. Your dog won't make the jump. And Marzia, I can tell your pregnant. Because nobody gets that fat in the apocalypse."

Marzia lowered her head. "It's true.."

"So...now what?" Jack asked.

"We lay low, stay quiet, block that ladder, and rest here for the night. There's no point in trying to get out of this horde." I said. "Get comfy. We might be here a while."

*time skip to nighttime*

I was curled up in a little ball. Max was right beside me. Max was hungry. I was hungry. Everyone was hungry. Tomorrow, we set out for food.

I was almost asleep when I felt something grab my shoulder. I pulled my machete out of its sheath, which woke up Max. He growled at...at... Mark?

I lowered my weapon to my side. "What are you doing up? Go back to bed." I said. Everyone else was asleep except us.

"Why should I?" Mark said In an annoying tone.

I laughed and said, "because we are going hunting tomorrow. We need food. And maybe if we search a few houses we might find dog food." The word dog food made Max jump in excitement.

"Hey now who made you boss man?" Mark asked.

"Well would you rather starve?" I asked him.

"No.." He said

"Okay then." I said, putting the machete back in its sheath.

"So what did-" Mark was cut off by an empty can flying at his head.

CONK

"SHUT UP WOULD YA!! IM TRYIN TA SLEEP FOR FOCKS SAKE!!" Jack screamed.

I was busy laughing while Mark rubbed his head. "Yeah, nice way to attract more Walkers Jack!" Mark said.

"Anyway..what did you do in the 2 long years it's been since I've seen you." Mark continued.

"Oh, you know. Catching up with family. Surviving. Burying my family. Eating. Training Max. Breathing. The usual." I answered.

"Oh. I'm sorry to hear that." He said

"Don't be. They killed themselves. If anything I'm angry that they decided death was the right path instead of surviving."

"Okaay then..." Mark said.

My stomach rumbled. "Ugh.." I said. Max whined.

"Here...I've been hiding this from the group." Mark slid off his bag, and...no way...pulled out, a king sized Hershey bar.

(This is the part where you pretend it's very healthy for dogs to eat chocolate. In real life it's not, but this is a fanfic.)

I broke the bar in half and gave Max some.

"Want some Mark?" I said with a mouthful of chocolate.

"Umm..no thanks." He said. Next thing you knew, Mark had his arms around you, Max crawled onto your lap, and all three of you fell asleep to the beautiful sounds of death screaming and gunshots.