“Good thinking,” I said, giving him a warm smile.

“I’ll make sure it gets aired,” Mr. Hammerhead promised us. “This all seems important enough for me to take advantage of my position as a teacher.”

“Sir, what are you doing here?” Simon asked respectfully. “I mean, aren’t you supposed to be around the nature reserve when it’s a full moon?”

“Very perceptive, Simon.” Mr. Hammerhead really seemed to know our names when he needed to. “And yes, I should get out there soon. I just had to talk about something with the principal and he wouldn’t listen to me during office hours, so…”

“Was it about the test?” Eros asked directly.

“I can’t talk about school matters,” he replied gruffly, but his whole demeanor told us Eros had guessed right. “Now, record that message before I change my mind.”

Simon – who else? – managed to get the machine working. I stepped up and took the microphone in my hands, unsure of what to say. Without a word, Simon put his hand on my right shoulder while Eros did the same on my left. With both of them supporting me so clearly, I pressed the button and took a deep breath.

“Hello everyone, this is Demona Hollow. I’ve got a very important and disturbing message for you. Last night, I was brutally assaulted by a guy you all know and maybe even respect. He kissed me and wouldn’t take no for an answer, not even when I pushed him off. I will spare you the gory details, but if my friends hadn’t come to the rescue, I wouldn’t have been able to walk away with just bruised wrists and a torn shirt. His name you ask? Well…”

Eros grabbed the microphone from me. “His name is not important, since he’ll be easy to recognize. The guy in question has one hell of a black eye, courtesy of Eros Slayer. Let this be a warning for anyone who wants to mess with my friends.”

He handed back the microphone and smiled at me. I laughed and went on with my part: “In case you don’t think a black eye is proof enough, just check his arms. He should be pretty sore from where I dug my nails into his skin.”

Simon took the microphone now, looking a bit nervous. “Thank you all for listening and be warned. If any guy ever sexually harasses a girl again, Eros might just go ballistic on you. Trust me, you don’t want his first or his fangs anywhere near you when he’s mad. And if that’s enough of a threat, I could always just tell the entire school your deepest, most secret wishes. Being a male fairy has a few perks. Have a good day.”

He turned off the machine and put an arm around me. I laughed out loud now and first hugged him, then Eros.

“You guys are awesome,” I said. “Thanks so much for having my back.”

“Always,” Simon told me.

“If you’re all done with your sappy little hug-fest, I’d like to get back to my actual job,” Mr. Hammerhead mused, shaking him head. “Please give me those keys and go to your rooms, quickly and quietly. I’ll make sure tomorrow’s lunch will be unforgettable for Kevin.”

That night, I slept restlessly. I could feel both Eros and Simon were awake form most of the night, but they were both turned inward, figuring out their own feelings. I could’ve really used a friend, but my roommates were running around in their wolf form and it was too late to go knock on Minnie’s door. At six o’clock in the morning, I gave up any attempts at sleep, took a long a hot shower and sat down with a book. I didn’t have much patience for it, so I started pacing. It went without saying there’d be no running today, but I really needed to do something, to stop reliving the night before, to stop seeing Kevin’s face…