Chapter 38, The Human Colony

Start from the beginning

The woman began to lead me back towards their camp site; I just hoped they wouldn’t recognise their clothes, her eyes giving me one last check over before we went.

‘We camp every summer; why do you have no shoes; the hard ground must be torture’?

Chuckling, I looked down at my feet, now noticing their almost perfect appearance like the ground wasn’t even causing me trouble.

‘I lost them somewhere in the trees, along with the majority of my stuff’.

The woman nodded, as James stepped over so he was on my side, between his Mother and I.

‘Did you see the doggy’?

I had to give the kid credit, he was confident, he just walked up to a giant ass wolf and now he was talking to a complete stranger.

‘Ah….. Maybe, I must have missed it though’.

The fact that I didn’t say no straight away made James have some hope that the wolf really was real.  I just hoped the kid wouldn’t lose sleep over it or go looking for the wolf.

Arriving at the camp site only a few minutes further down the track, the woman ignored me the rest of the way; her grip on her child telling me she was becoming irritated I was egging him on about this doggy he saw.

Stepping out into the small clearing, I stepped over the tent pegs as Lacy walked over to the men by the water; clearing her throat to get their attention.

‘Gentlemen, it seems I found a strangler our in the trees, this is Vera’.

The men immediately looked up, the three of them looking at me, their eyes lingering over my body; yes us wolves did look good to humans but to other wolves it was pretty normal.

A guy that looked around nineteen was especially interested as he took a step towards us, his face lighting up like he had just won the lottery; they were just a bunch of perverts.

Lacy sighed, her fingers rubbing against her temples, pointing at the men starting with the young guy on the left, she introduced me solemnly.

‘Vera, this is Ryle, Kurt and my husband John’.

The men seemed to approve of me apparently, from both the smell and the look of them, I really felt like gagging right now.

Muttering a shy hello to them, Ryle walked over to me, his hand extending out; he definitely wanted to be first to meet the new girl.

‘I’m Ryle as you know, are you camping nearby’?

Even I could catch the hint behind Ryle’s words, he thought he was going to get lucky, too bad I was about to pop his bubble.

‘No I got lost hiking; I need a lift back into town, your help would be much appreciated’.

All three men then proceeded to fight over who would drive me into town as Lacy scolded her husband for not being loyal and trying to win me over.

Turned out Ryle and Kurt both wanted to take me, the two of them unable to let the other get away with being with me alone.

Like I said before these guys were perverted……

Climbing into their Ford Territory, I sat in the backseat, hearing Kurt grumble up front because he had to drive as Ryle slid in on the other side.

Looking around, I hadn’t been in a car before; its strange carpet like ceilings and floors making the small space seem cosy and just that tad claustrophobic.

Sitting with my shoulder leaning up against the window, I found the lever to open it as I called out to Lacy, her face telling me she would be happy when I was gone.