Chapter 17, Kidnapped

Chapter 16

Waking up the next morning, the sun’s gentle rays were once again beaming through the glass doors, the iridescent colours reflecting off the tree line, lighting the morning sky.

Slowly turning my head and trying to sit up, Cody stirred in is sleep as I wondered if I could get away without waking him, seeing the clock read 6:21am.

My hand reaching for Cody’s fingers as I lifted his arm by the tip of finger ever so gently, sitting it next to me, I figured maybe this wouldn’t be too hard as I tried to unwrap the other one to no avail.

‘You can’t sneak away from me, Vera’.

Snorting through my nose, Cody’s eyes now fluttered open as they settled on my face momentarily.

‘Would you like to get up Vera’?

Nodding my head, Cody let me go as I tottered over to the corner where I always threw the dresses I took off, the pile actually starting to grow despite Cody taking some of my clothes out to the laundry.

 Grabbing the first dress I saw that didn’t seem to reek of sweat and such, I ducked into the bathroom; locking the door as I turned on the shower, the steam instantly greeting me as I undressed.

Stepping under the water, my long hair sunk into my back, falling loosely from my head, the amount of shampoo I had to sue these days was ridiculous; I’d have to get some of this length cut off one day.

Making my shower quick as I generally did, I was dressed and prettied up; leaving the bathroom to see Cody already gone and probably too impatient, having gone to use another of the bathrooms.

Dumping my pyjamas back on the bed, I walked out into the hallway, sniffing out Cody’s scent as I soon tracked it heading further up the hall into the main bathroom.

Well since that problem was solved, I now walked towards the staircase; barefoot as usual, I did make a little less noise than I would if I was in shoes as the wooden floor boards creaked with each step I took.

Reaching the bottom of the staircase, I noticed the front door was ajar, making me slightly bewildered as to who would leave the door open like that, letting in spiders and who knows what other creepy crawlies.

My fingers curling around the doorframe, I peeked my head out, seeing no sign of Charlie like I usually did; maybe he slept in this morning?

No one in sight, a small pile of clothes sat at the foot of the door, answering my question as to where Charlie was as the scent of his wolf filled my nostrils; his clothes reeking of his stench.

Something must have been wrong; Charlie only ever did early morning patrols from what I understood; although I had seen him take off in a bad mood. 

My body sliding through the gap in the door, I stepped out onto the veranda; my eyes scanning the immediate tree lien for a wolf watching me; laughing in hysterics at my pathetic excuse for being suspicious.

Walking to the edge of the veranda as I rounded the side of the house, the one and only creeper was sitting on a small cane chair; his coffee cradled by the small cane table that I only ever seemed to associate with Gerald now.

‘Morning Vera, care for a stroll’?

 Gerald’s eyes blinked confidently if that was even possible, his mindset knowing I’d rather a run any day than being stuck here at the house.

But why was Gerald inviting me along, after all he surely knew I was ‘grounded’ and that he’d be going against Cody’s orders.

‘Won’t Cody err, be upset’?