Chapter 37, Chasing Gerald

Chapter 37

Arriving back at Woodstock Territory, I was immediately greeted with the familiar smell of my pack.  The rain had died down, still trying effortlessly to drown me it seemed.

Each step I took further into what was now my land seemed off, usually at least one wolf would have detected me by now; with everyone out at the war, there mustn’t have been much of a patrol happening.

Trotting along the trail that led roughly back Cody’s house, grabbing a quick snack surely wouldn’t have hurt before looking for Gerald.  Most likely the guy was going to follow my scent as it was.

That always present eerie silence followed me further into my territory, the lack of sound telling me the birds and whatever else lived in these trees had left, obviously fearing whatever had passed through.

Coming up to the house, I now picked up another fresh scent, now realising this was probably a mistake, seeing a wolf jump down from the second story window now running at me.

Already knowing it was Burt, something told me I was in trouble as I took off across the clearing, my legs carrying me slower than what I had anticipated.

My heart rate now picking up as I looked back to see Burt gaining, now reaching the tree line again as only just inside it, something caught my eye between the trees, my concentration ceasing as I felt a heavy wolf tackle me to the ground.

‘How is my favourite daughter in law?  I know for a fact you shouldn’t be here’!

Wrestling as we did, the growling between us seemed harmless as neither of us dared to actually tear the other’s flesh apart.

I really was off my game though as Burt soon pinned me in the grass, my wolf feeling disgusted that I as Luna had let an inferior member of the pack beat me.

‘Do I have to tackle you more or are you going to explain willingly Vera’?

Snorting through my nostrils, I guessed Burt could feel my frustration and anger, considering he soon hoped off me, strolling around like some retired wolf.

‘I don’t need your help Burt, go back and look after the pack’.

Getting to my feet, my head held low as I growled at Burt, bearing my teeth to warm him; Burt simply walked lazy circles around me not even fazed.

‘News come back that the fight did not go so well, why are you not with Cody’?

Burt should have known the reason for this, he was a clever wolf, able to see through my front easily enough when I first met him.

The simply lazy approach he was taking now, just told me he wanted me to confess what I was about to do, hoping I would maybe come to my senses.

‘If you have to ask Burt, you’re not prepared for the answer’.

Nodding, Burt stopped in front of me, his tails swishing like he was enjoying getting out.

‘You are searching for a certain someone I am presuming’.

Nodding, I lifted my head, now stance not so threatening now as I relaxed my muscles, trying to tell myself Burt wouldn’t stop me even though he most likely would try.

‘See you didn’t need me to tell you, you already know.  Now if you don’t mind, any help you could give I would be grateful for’.

The quietness between us was subtle, the rain had now ceased, Burt seemed to be thinking about his answer before he gave up his information.