I shrugged. "It sounds dangerous, illegal, and faintly amusing," I said in a factly tone, before allowing a pause. "So, what are we waiting for?" 

***

    I strode over confidently towards the soldiers, a trace of a grin on my lips. If Gandalf wanted a diversion, then he will have to get more than he asked for. Walking over to the two soldiers who guarded the braziers, I saw that they were both on the young-side, with inexperience showing in their slouched postures. Perfect

    Swallowing the bile that rose in my throat, I stepped gracefully over to the pair, a feigned shy smile on my lips. "It seems like quite a beautiful day," I said, my voice sickly sweet, but my eyes were cold and sharp as steel. Immediately, the two guards straightened their spines, a sudden eagerness in their eyes. 

    "We are pleased to make acquaintance to you, Lady--" one of the guards paused interrogatively. 

    "Lady Genevieve," I answered immediately, choosing not to reveal my true identity.

   "Lady Genevieve," the other breathed with unconvincing flattery in his voice, "might I say, you are the most beautiful maiden that I had ever laid my eyes on--" 

    "Oh please," the other snorted, "you said the same thing to the other maiden in the tavern." 

   His companion colored immediately. "No, I didn't," he hissed between his teeth, as if I had no ears. 

    "Yes you did." 

   "No I didn't!" 

    "Yes you did!" 

    I think that is enough to tell what happened next. While they were distracted with their arguing, I sent a hand gesture, and dashing upwards, Pippin rushed over, and in a moment of quick thinking, he grasped the lamp and smashed it into the wood; lighting the wood on fire. With a sudden 'whoosh,' the embers were alit with tongues of red flames; crackling and spitting angrily as it rose higher and higher. 

    It was then that the guards turned around in confusion, alarm etched into their faces. 

   I took that as my cue to leave. 

***

    I adhered to my promise, and seeking my handmaiden, I followed her outside of the palace and out the city walls. "I can not believe you kept your promise--" she chattered on, so much like Danalia that my heart quivered once more. "I really wanted to spend some time with you, and my parents were simply thrilled!" 

    I smiled benignly, as I remembered the girl's parents-- so kind-hearted and genuine that I was caught off guard, myself. Breathing deeply, I asked, "So where are we going?" 

   The girl skipped an extra step, waltzing through the abnormally large crowd. Her eyes twinkled. "You will see, Lady Evelyn," she giggled, leading me through the jostling, yet good-natured people. Stopping abruptly at the top of the wall, she slung her knapsack off her shoulder, and plunged her hand into it; revealing a sort of object made of sheer material.