The Ground Wants You

The world spins around you, the people's faces are a blur. They hold terror in their expressions, and in front of their eyes they see their flashing memories. In front of you, you now see your past actions and memories, and you want to dwell on them a bit. But you don't have even a moment longer to think about them because the ground wants you out of the sky to meet its surface. You defy the rule of gravity, you fly with the birds, you sweep between the clouds. Earth wants you below the heavens, on its grassy carpet. It wants you buried in its dirt. You hit the ground with an unnatural force, everything goes dark as you picture the world without you. Your last thought is wondering if everyone dies along with you.

You open your eyes to find yourself alive in a hospital, being told you were the only survivor. You've never wanted to die, but at this moment as the only survivor, you envy the people who died in the crash. You live the rest of your life remembering those people's faces and the terror in their screams. You feel an overwhelming guilt for being alive, as if something is wrong with you. You feel like it is your fault that those people died. So you try to remember those people more than just screaming voices and twisted faces. You decide to meet their families and their friends. You learn each dead passengers' story and gather pictures of each person. You hang these pictures on your wall, their story scribbled on the back of each photo. You look and study each person's face, trying to replace the sad faces with their smiling selfies they took before their plane trip. Now when you get flashbacks of this horrible event, you only picture what it was like before the plane dove towards Earth. You remember that one old woman was drinking out of a water bottle while reading a foreign newspaper, and how that young mother told her toddler a story about a cat, then you remember that old man who sat next to you telling you about all of his traveling adventures. You accept your life as the only one alive, you accept that these people died and realize that it wasn't your fault, because you don't have to see their agony and fear as they knew their death was seconds away anymore. Now you only picture what their life was like, and their families and the photos of their past.

It is how you perceive it.