chapter 18

Scott watched as Stiles' phone slid out of his hands, clattering against the floor before settling beside Stiles' feet. The rest of the group had varying expressions of sadness and worry written on their faces at the scene before them. Stiles stood, eyes wide open, his breath slightly hitching.

Scott stepped forward, placing a hand on his best friend's shoulder. "Hey, man, I'm sure everything's okay. You don't know that he's hurt yet."

Stiles' gaze shifted to meet Scott's eyes. His amber eyes showed fear, fear that he could possibly lose his other parent. "But," Stiles started, his voice cracking slightly. He cleared his throat before continuing. "He didn't pick up."

"I know. We'll go over to the station and check everything out, alright?" Scott reasoned.

Stiles looked at his friends surrounding him, all sending him reassuring nods, before looking back to Scott and answering. "Yeah," he started, his voice just above a whisper. "Let's go," Stiles stated, looking back to Scott for a response.

Scott have him a tight smile before turning to the rest of the group. "Come on, let's go check it out."

/|\/|\/|\/|\

Everyone was in the parking lot of the school, making their way to get in their cars, when Scott's phone rang.

Scott pulled his phone out from his pocket and checked the caller ID. "It's my mom," he told his friends. "Hey, mom, what's-" he answered, before being cut off from the other caller. Each person present watched as Scott's look of slight confusion and determinedness went to one of alertness, and then to sorrowful. "Okay, yeah, mom, we'll be right there," he responded before ending the call and placing his phone back in his pocket.

"What happened," Allison asked, concerned.

Scott looked over to Allison, then quickly set his focus on Stiles. "It's your dad," he stated, earning the eyes of the other pack members, as Stiles locked his gaze on Scott, waiting for what he will say next. "He's been shot."

Stiles' mouth dropped open, closing and reopening as if he were trying to form words to speak. He stood still a moment later, before bolting to the driver's side of his Jeep. Lydia and Scott instantly followed behind him, climbing into his car before he hurriedly drove to the hospital. Allison, Isaac, Liam, Kira, and Malia all rushed into Allison's car before going after the trio, following in suit to the hospital to check on the Sheriff.

/|\/|\/|\/|\

Scott, Stiles, and Lydia barged through the double doors of the hospital, quickly finding Melissa.

"Mom!" Scott shouted, gaining her attention. All three noticed tear stains on her cheeks, making them worry more. At this point, the rest of the pack piled in, waiting to hear Melissa's response.

Melissa set her sight on Stiles, speaking as calm as she could at that moment. "So, as you know, there was a shooting at the station." Each teenager nodded, waiting for more information. "The gunman's purpose was to get to your father," she paused, noticing Stiles motioning for her to continue even further, since he already knew this information. She sighed. "He was able to get one shot in before one of the deputies caught him." Stiles took a sharp intake of breath, processing the given information.

Lydia looked over to Stiles, figuring that he wouldn't speak anytime soon, she spoke for him, but wanted to know for herself, as well. "Where was he shot?"

Melissa glanced over at Lydia, before going back to focusing on Stiles. She hesitated, but spoke cautiously. "In the shoulder."

Everyone except for Stiles and Lydia looked relieved. Still showing looks of worry, the other pack members looked at them with confusion. Stiles and Lydia looked at each other, then put their attention back on Melissa.

Stiles spoke, his voice rough. "Did the bullet hit an artery?" Lydia nodded along, nonverbally voicing her thoughts. Recognition passed the rest of the group's faces, signalling they knew what Stiles was getting at.

"No, but it barely passed the subclavian artery. We almost lost him on the table because it was so close to the artery, but he's just fine and is resting now." Melissa assured Stiles, as well as the rest of the tight-knit group of friends.

Stiles sighed in relief, rushing up to hug Melissa. "Thank you," he whispered in her ear. "Thank you so much."

"Of course, sweetheart," Melissa replied.

Stiles let go, returning to his spot next to Scott. Allison, Isaac, and Kira went to sit in the waiting room, Liam and Malia following close by after realizing what they were doing. Lydia walked up to Stiles, engulfing him in a large, comforting hug. Stiles returned in, letting Lydia rest her head on his shoulder, his nose buried in her hair. Scott smiled softly at the two before looking at his mother, the same expression on her face. He briefly hugged her before going to meet the others in the waiting room. Stiles and Lydia broke from the hug, Stiles' arm still draped around Lydia's waist.

Looking over at Melissa, Stiles asked one more question that was still in his mind. "When can I see him?"

"I'll let you know when he wakes up," she responds easily, before walking back to her station to continue her work.

"Come on," Lydia spoke, getting Stiles' attention set on her. "Let's go sit." Stiles nodded, letting Lydia lead him to where the others were sitting, waiting for them to join.

/|\/|\/|\/|\

A/N: Thanks for 4K reads! I love getting feedback from all of you, so don't hesitate to let me know your thoughts on the story!

The next chapter will be more emotional, so stay tuned!