Chapter XXXII: Jacob's Point of View

Start from the beginning

I helped my dad into Sue's car, pestering them to make sure that Seth or someone would be around to help him out. I turned back towards the house, surprised to see a fully dressed Annie and a stuffed duffel bag on the porch swing. "I'm ready to go whenever you are," she whispered.

I settled beside her, dropping the bag to the ground. "Where did you guy guys go?" I asked. "I mean, you were with the Cullen bitch, right?"

She nodded. "We went to Italy; met a family of royal vampires to get Bella's bloodsucker back," she murmured. "He tried to kill himself," she continued, resting her chin on her knees. "I guess when you rescued Bella, Alice couldn't see her and she thought Bella died. The blonde one told Edward and he went to Italy to ask the royal family to kill him. They said no, so he tried to force them." She stopped, fear I had never seen before flashing in her eyes.

"Why did you go, Annie? I mean, did you want to? Is that why you asked me to leave?" I breathed, dreading her answer.

"No," she said, but her voice broke. "I didn't want to go, Jake. They brought me to the airport and I was ready to bolt, but she stopped me. She said they could hurt you; that they had friends and if I didn't go," she trailed off, her eyes still fixed on the forest.

"I called you," I whispered, barely controlling my temper. She had been forced to go to a royal family of parasites! Lord only knows how much danger she was in.

"She threw away my phone when I tried to call you in the airport." I watched one little tear fall from her eyes. She shoved herself up, the swing moving just a little. "Jake, I'm so sorry that I left. I didn't want to." She was trembling and licking her lips, but her eyes were still on the forest. "I know that you didn't want this; that you never wanted to imprint. And I know that I haven't been easy for you."

I stood up, coming up behind her, but not taking her into my arms. "Annie, I'm not mad at you."

She choked out a sob. "Why not?" She wasn't angry, but I could see fire flash in her eyes. "I took away your choice. You love my sister, Jake. How are you not mad at me?" I stepped towards her, but she just grabbed her bag. "I have to get home. And then I...I don't know. I guess I'll see you at school?"

"You think I'm ever letting you go again?" I asked incredulously. I moved again, too quick for her to see. I pulled her against my chest, but she didn't pull away. "You think I'm ever letting you go anywhere without me again?" She didn't put any effort in pushing me away. I felt her sigh and relax against me. Hot liquid hit my bare chest. 

"Are you crying?" I whispered. I had seen her cry more in the last six months than I had in the last six years.

"I'm sorry," she returned. "I just-for the first time in three days I finally feel like I'm safe." I smiled and buried my nose in her hair. "I was so scared, Jake. All of those vampires were so powerful. One of them could read every thought that I had just by touching me."

I shivered. "Did you let him touch you?" I growled. Another leech had laid their hands on my Annie? Was I ever going to get this imprinting thing right?

"I wouldn't do that to the pack. I was so scared. He told Edward and Alice that they had turn me into one of them or kill me." I snarled, pulling her tighter. "It's okay; Alice, she can't see you, remember. My future disappeared when I made the decision to come back here. When she showed the others, the one who can read minds, he thought that it meant I was going to die."

I tried to take comfort in what she was saying. But the thought of her dying sent shivers down my spine and I only clung tighter to her. 

"I was so worried about you, Annie. You don't have to worry about the leeches hurting us; that's what we're built for." She trembled against me. "Nothing can hurt worse than having you disappear, gone with the wind. I wasn't sure where you were, if you were okay. You weren't calling any of us back."