Chapter Thirteen The goddess of life

Destiny leaned on the counter. Normally, it would take two days for her to recover from a hydrotherapy season, but her legs were less stiff. She was chewing on a piece of toast. While Taylor ate the last of her cereal, Opal turned up the volume on the news.
Last night Aleric Mogan and his wife, Selina Morgan, have vanished after being spotted by a group of hikers. They sent in this video of an alleged kidnapping. I advise you that the following images are disturbing. The news anchors said.

A video of last night's events played. Destiny couldn't bear to look. She clenched her pencils, snapping the wood. "An ongoing search is underway for the missing people. Please alert the local police if you see anything." The anchor said.

"I can't believe it," Opal exclaimed, her eyes widening in disbelief. She took a final spoonful of her cereal, the sound of the crunch echoing in the kitchen.

Destiny, engrossed in the letter she was reading, could sense the tension in the room. As if holding a secret she couldn't yet decipher, the words on the paper seemed to jump out at her.

Filled with suspicion, Destiny whispered that the veil agents might be involved in a cover-up. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee wafted through the air, mingling with the scent of Opal's cereal.

Reading the mysterious letter from Lucy, Destiny's fingers trembled slightly, the paper feeling slightly crinkled beneath her touch.

Destiny revealed, her voice tinged with both relief and uncertainty, that the veil agency will cover all the bills on the house until Aleric returns.

Tayloe, sitting nearby, observed the scene with a knowing expression. He could feel the weight of the situation, as if the room itself held its breath.

"Your father works for a generous company," Tayloe noted, his words carrying a mix of admiration and concern. The sound of his voice seemed to punctuate the significance of their move to this new place.

She grabbed her backpack, trying to focus on the school day ahead. They arrived early, heading into the main building. Ash and Esmeralda were engaged in conversation. Laughing and bantering with each other, Opal headed off down the hallway, saying she would meet them in the library. Taylor was frantically searching his locker, throwing things out onto the floor. She could see that was frantic with worry.

'What's happened, Taylor?' Destiny asked, picking up on his fear.

'The journal. It's gone,' he stammered.

'What do you mean, gone?' Destiny felt her blood run cold.

'I knew it wouldn't be safe for me to keep it at home, so I hid it here, in the library. It seemed like the perfect place. After all, school was closed for the holidays, and what better place to hide a book than in a library?'

Destiny looked at him in horror. 'Well yeah, it was clearly a genius idea,' she said sarcastically.

'I bet you couldn't have come up with anything better,' he snarled.
"If you left the journal where my father had it hidden in the first place, this wouldn't have happened," Destiny accused.

Taylor rolled his eyes, catching sight of an exchange student sneaking out of the doors and heading towards the forest. They wore dark clothing, keeping their heads down; they carried their right arm close to their chest, underneath the baggy hoodie they wore.
"Have you ever seen that guy, Esmeralda?"
She frowned, humming, "Nope, everyone who is a regular student knows one another. And I've never seen that person in any of our classes, besides I doubt any human would reek of dark magic." Esmeralda said, blocking her nose against the spicy scent.

Despite the pouring rain soaking the ground with an incoming storm, and the thunder booming overhead, before they saw a strike of lightning illuminating the fence, the unknown figure climbed over, escaping into the forest. They ventured deeper into the forest, a vast distance from the school. Destiny reached out with her sixth sense. A white light guided them. They reached a familiar clearing. Taylor clenched his jaw, stepping out to confront the stranger.
Destiny grabbed his arm, pulling him back with enhance strength, which surprised him. He glanced at her. "Something's wrong."
"What do you mean? Taylor asked, confused.
"Why is he just standing there?" Destiny whispered.