Chapter 2

•Jennelle•

The plane ride was exausting. I've never been on a plane that long, let alone this far. The farthest places I've been to is Puerto Rico to visit my family for the summer and that's basically it. My family never traveled that much. It was mostly my dad when he had new cases in different states. 

When we get off the plane my parents hail a cab and my dad informs the driver of our house while my mom takes a seat beside me. I look out the window and get a huge wave of unfamiliarity. It's so dull and cloudy over here. I'm already missing the sun and the constantly warm weather of Florida. 

"Are you okay?" My mom asks me and I shrug my shoulders. 

"I didn't want to move and it's going to be really hard adjusting to a new life in a new country. It's not like moving to a different state. This is a huge change and it's going to take a lot to get used to." I mumble while still looking out the window. 

My mom nods her head but doesn't say anything to comfort me because she can't. I know that she's starting fresh too so it's going to be equally as hard as it is for me for her. My dad is holding small talk with the cab driver and I put in my headphones to try to zone out of my current situation. I already miss Emily and all my other friends.

»»»

On our way to the house my dad rented, we passed a couple of buildings and a rather large school.  It has big bold letters saying Manchester Academy. I really hope that's not my new school, because I see girls standing outside in the ugliest uniforms ever. I've never worn uniforms in my entire life and if I really have to wear uniforms I'm going to be so pissed. You can't express your personal style in uniforms. They're so boring and basic. 

We finally arrive at the house which is actually a decent size. I look around the small suburban neighborhood and it makes me miss the homeyness of our old house.  There's a moving truck waiting in front of the house and I'm glad that it's here. The driver lets us out after my dad  pays the fare and my mom smiles awkwardly. We get our luggage out from the cab and sets it on the sidewalk. 

"Well, this is home for a few years." My mom mentions and I size up the house while crossing my arms. 

"I guess.." 

We walk up to the front door and my dad opens the mailbox to look for the key. He fumbles just a little while trying to unlock the door until he finally gets it and opens the door.  I've never lived in a two story house so having this amount of space is kind of weird. The house is nice on the inside with a lot of windows so it lets in a good amount of natural light.I honestly don't know why because it's not like the sun is going to be showing anytime soon. We all go our separate ways as we venture into the house. My mom always goes into the kitchen first while my dad looks at a room downstairs that I know will probably end up being his office. 

"Jennelle have you been upstairs yet?" My dad calls from the foyer and I hurry to catch up to his voice.

"Not yet, I was looking down stairs first."

I look up the stairs and hesitate for a second but quickly asend. It's basically a long hallway. The first room is the master bedroom which I assume is going to be my parents, and across the hall is their bathroom. Further down the hallway are two more bedrooms.  My parents gave me the decision to pick which room out of the two I wanted. The first bedroom is quite small and only has one window. And the next room is a little bigger and has two windows. One facing the front yard and the other window facing the side of the house, which has a huge tree beside the window. So of course I chose the second room. It's the last room down the hallway so I feel secluded. Not that I mind. Another perk of the bedroom at the end of the hallway is that the bathroom is in the room which is perfect. It also has a decent sized closet which I'm grateful for. 

The movers bring up my bed first and set it in the corner beside the window that faces the front of the house. I grab the remaining boxes and begin to unpack my things.  This is going to take so long to unpack everything. I set all the clothes that I managed to bring and put them in hangers in my closet. Once I get to the box that contains memories of all my friends back home, I'm crying again. I hear someone shift slightly and I quickly wipe my eyes and turn around. It's my dad.

"I know how hard this must be for you beba." My dad says as he takes a seat next to me on the carpet as he takes a look at the pictures of my friends in the box. 

"But you have to look at things on the bright side, not everyone has the chance to move and live in a different country. Take it as a learning experience." He mentions as he rubs circles on my back. 

"I know I'm trying, It's just going to be really hard." I sniffle and wipe my nose on the sleeve of my sweater. I hate doing that but I don't have any tissues so my sleeve will have to do. 

"You have the whole weekend to get things sorted out and ready for school." My dad says and I nod my head and groan. 

"Please tell me that I don't have to wear a uniform papa, please." I whine as I lean my head against his shoulders. I'm really hoping that he says that I'm going to another school that has no uniforms.

He sighs and shakes his head. "I'm sorry, but it's mandatory. Every school over here has to wear uniforms. But I heard that every Friday you get to wear normal clothes as long as it falls within the dress code. They're stricter on here for clothes and I'm not sure why."

"Ughhhhh" I groan and lift my head off his shoulder. He stands up and gives me kiss on my forehead as be begins to walk out of my room. 

I open my phone and send my friends a snap of the box of memories and also a mini tour of my room. I know that because of the time difference they're probably sleeping so they'll open in it in the morning. I just really wish they were here. I don't know how I'm going to handle being the new girl in school all over again. I'm dreading for Monday to come. 

»»»

So this is the edited version of the second chapter.. I'm making them longer and more descriptive bc everytime I look back I cringe.

Anyways hope it's better.

-L