Chapter 24

•Zayn•

(FLASHBACK)

(One Year Ago)

»»»

"You have one minute, they can hit you but you can't fight back. At all."

Natalie calls out from across the room. The huddle of girls and guys start coming closer and sweat begins forming at the base of my head.

One minute will be quick right?

"Ready?" Natalie sets the timer.

I nod my head and take a deep breath. Here it goes. The group surrounds me. They are looking around waiting for the signal. Natalie nods her head and I'm bombarded with punches and kicks. Every punch is a whirlwind, every kick is worse. A kick in the stomach make me grunt and double over in pain. Is the minute over? I close my eyes and wait. There's a faint ring and the attacks come to a halt.

Finally.

A set of hands help me up and I'm showered with hugs and pat on the backs, and smiles. It seems like they just forgot what just happened. They beat the shit out of me. All of these faces look familiar. Most of these people go to my school. A path is suddenly cleared for Natalie to walk through. When she reaches me she smiles.

"Welcome to the Vipers"
(END OF FLASHBACK)
»»»

My alarm won't stop ringing and I really want to slam it against the wall. One more ring....

Fuck it.

I storm up from my bed and slam the alarm across the floor. The screws and buttons are scattered everywhere.

Oh well. Guess it's time for a new alarm.

I pick up the pieces and toss them into the trash while getting my clothes out. My phone vibrates , signaling that I have a text message.

I pick out my uniform lazily before putting on a leather jacket and adding a beanie to my hair. After I get ready I read the message. It's from Maria.

Maria 7:20am

Happy Anniversary!

What is she talking--?

Oh shit.

Today's the day that I joined the Vipers and also today's the same day that my dad walked out on us. How can I forget that?

November 22, 2013. I was in year 10. That day will be etched into my mind forever.

»»»

(FLASHBACK)
Bags are packed by the door and my dad is hovering in the entrance as if his mind is battling him. When he sees me coming downstairs, he looks away and begins to open the door.

"Dad where are you going?"

I follow him downstairs and he grabs his bags, without saying a word

"Dad! Tell me where you're going!"

I run down the stairs but he's already out the door. How can he just leave like that ?

"Dad please!' My fists bang against the door as i hear the car rumble in the distance. he can't just leave us.

He just did.

Tears sting my eyes as I storm up to his room. Everything is still the same way it always was. Anger rushes through me suddenly as I grab the lamp from the nightstand and throw it across the room. It hits the mirror and shatters into a million pieces. I take the chair beside me and slam it against the floor. The splintering of wood causes my mom to run into the room. Her face turns from complete shock to sympathetic in an instant. She walks up to me, hands outstretched.