Chapter 52

So this is what she tells me. 

She informs me my father has passed away this weekend, with tears rolling down her face. She also explains that he was never a kind man.

"I know that mum" I did know him pretty well when I was younger.

She tells me that no, I don't know. She says he really wasn't a good man. I feel oddly sad or maybe just pettiness for the man. Why would my mother cry over such an unimportant man. 

"I'm sorry" she says, wiping away her tears. 

"Don't be sorry mum." I hug her. 

He died over a drug overdose which I'm not surprised of honestly. That's all he ever did. He never payed any attention towards his family, us. He never cared. At least not for long. When my mother first started dating him at 19, he was a complete gentleman with a big heart but, over the years his heart got smaller and smaller. He became a drunk and drug obsessed man.

"The funeral is Friday afternoon, I'll pick you up during your third period." My mother tells me. 

"We're going?" Maybe that's a rude thing to say after someone has just passed away but considering the circumstances, he wasn't just someone he was my ugly father. 

"We should pay our respects." She says.

"What do you mean respects? What respects?" I raise my voice.

"I don't know Jessy." She shakes her head in confusion.

"To the good part in him..." My mother adds.

"We both know there wasn't much of that mom."

"Jessy, do not speak that way of your father!" She raises her voice.

"My father? Really mum. He is not my father he's a crazy crackhead who didn't care about me or you. All he wanted was our money." I shout. I don't understand her. Theres no good in him. 

"I will not let you call him my father because a dad wouldn't come over to our house once every few months just to beat you up when you wouldn't give him money--" I add and she gasps.

"I didn't give him any money because we needed it."

"I know that mum I didn't expect you to give him any but I do expect you to understand that he is no longer the boyfriend you once loved or husband you once had."

"You're right." She sighs. 

"If you want to go to the funeral to pay your respects then you can do that but I don't think I can because I barely remember the good side of him."

"Okay."

I make my way upstairs with my bags and put everything into the wash. Today has been a long day and not a very good one either. I have 2 essays due tomorrow with only one of them written. I have no time and I don't feel like doing it. I grab a pair of cotton shorts from my drawer and a t-shirt and head to the bathroom to have a quick shower. 

I try not to think of my father but I have no choice. He's just right there in the back of my mind. Why? 

After my shower I get dressed brush my teeth and take a look at myself in the mirror. I feel different. I think I feel free for once. I have a great boyfriend and now that the man who ruined my life is gone, I feel free. No longer scared. Harry and I are in love. What more can i ask for?