The Girl From the Land of Waves Special 10k Reads Chapter!

I can't believe that TGLW has hit 10k reads! That's so incredible I can't even fathom it. 

I want to thank all of you who have supported me and this book even from the beginning. Your votes, comments and helpful suggestions have meant the world to me. Thanks to all the silent readers, too. I might not know what you guys think of this book, but you gave it a try and that's all I can ask for. 

In the last few months, this book has taken off and gotten thousands of views. It makes me so happy to see people enjoy my writing. I hope to keep writing for you guys for a long time. 

Be sure to let me know if you have any ideas of any sort, I'd love to hear them!

This chapter takes place back when Yumi lived with her clan in the Land of Waves.

THANK YOU ALL!!! <3

'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'

Third person pov.

"Hold still. I'll end up pulling all your hair out, the way you're fidgeting!" Yukiko scolded as she combed through her younger sister's silky hair.

"I'm sorry, Onee-san*! I'm just so excited! It's my fifth birthday today!!" Yumi exclaimed, clearly excited about turning a year older. "And Okaa-san** said that this year I can enter the academy," the little girl puffed her chest up proudly. Her older sister chuckled, continuing braiding Yumi's hair.

"I know and you know how I feel about that. I think you should wait until you're eight like everyone else," the red haired girl said calmly. 

Yumi sighed. "Yeah, yeah. We've had this conversation a billion times before, Onee-san! I know I can do this!" she said, determined. Yukiko sighed and nodded, tying off the braid she had been working on. She patted Yumi's head before standing and beginning to put things away.

There was a moment of silence when neither spoke.

"Why is your hair red, Onee-san? Okaa-san's is blue, like mine, and everyone else has blue hair, too," Yumi asked as if she was noticing for the first time that her older sister had red hair. Yukiko didn't answer right away.

"...Oto-san**'s hair is-was red," she said at last. Yumi's eyes filled with wonder.

"What was he like, Yukiko?" she questioned.

"I-I..... don't remember much..." Yukiko answered quietly. 

She didn't like talking about their father. It brought up memories she'd rather remain buried. Yumi looked at her feet in obviouly disappointed.

"Oh," she sighed. "You don't remember a single thing? Like if he was nice or mean? Or smiled? Or what his voice sounded like? What about-"

"Since when are you so curious anyway? I think I liked you better when you couldn't talk," Yukiko snapped a bit harsher than she'd meant to and Yumi's eyes widened. The red haired girl sighed and knelt down in front of her little sister. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean that. I just don't like talking about Oto-san. It's hard to talk about him," she explained to Yumi, trying to make her sister understand. Yumi, seemingly forgetting about Yukiko's harsh words, smiled.

"It's all right, Onee-san. I think I understand. No more questions about Oto-san!" Yumi chirped, 'zipping' her lips and giving her sister a hug. "Thank you for doing my hair for me! It looks really great!" she bounced around excitedly, nearly tripping several times due to her new, slightly too big, kimono. 

Yukiko smiled at her little sister's behavior. Her sister may have been inquisitive and a little annoying, as younger siblings generally are, but Yukiko loved Yumi to death. She made a vow to always be there for her younger sister, so Yumi wouldn't have to go through the heartbreak that she had when their father left.