"Hello?" Harvey asks, waving his hand in front of my face.

"Er- It's just the swim tryouts," I lie lamely. I don't want to admit that I am crushing on the Coach, considering Harvey already drilled me about staying the night at his. Plus, he was very sweet to me last week, after the horrible dinner with his family. "They're this Thursday, remember?"

"Right," he says sarcastically, rolling his eyes. "How could I forget?"

"I love that you're always my number one supporter," I tease, shoving him playfully as we walk out to the hallway.

"Looks like I was right Mia," a loud and obnoxious voice called, purposely loud enough for myself and Harvey to hear. "She's with the dork."

My laughter died down as I stared at Mike, who is stood a little way from us, a sleazy smirk on his face.

"Nah," Mia sneers. "I still think she's trying to screw the Coach for a spot on the team. She just needs a friend."

"Wow," I say loudly, rolling my eyes. "Don't you have anything better to do with your time than analyse my life?"

"It's just so pathetic," Mia sighs, placing a hand theatrically on her chest.

"Says the girl who is pining after the swim team captain, who doesn't feel the same way, so she has to settle for this," I counter, motioning towards a furious looking Mike. "The prawn of our year."

Flashing her a broad grin, I reach for Harvey's hand and tug him after him. My eyes connect with Hayden's as he leans nonchalantly against his locker. His face is impassive as he stares back at me. 

"Sassy thing you are," Harvey laughs. "I can't think quick like you."

"It's a gift, what can I say?"

"You getting nervous for the try outs?" he asks as we make our way towards a table outside.

I inhale the fresh air and openly welcome it. The classrooms get so stuffy, I appreciate eating lunch outside, not in the cafeteria.

"Nope," I gloat, brushing a bit of hair from my face. I pause, smiling to myself as I think back to when Coach did the same thing. "I'm feeling really good about it."

"You're going to smash it," he grins, throwing a thumbs up in my direction.

That's what Ashton said, too.

He sits heavily on the bench and I follow suit. I shrug off my hideous coat and roll the sleeves of my shirt up, wanting to feel the sun rays on my skin. I loosen my tie and immediately feel myself relax.

Harvey withdraws a chicken sandwich from his bag and then another, before passing it to me.

I give him a questioning look.

"I made it for you."

"Why did you do that?" I ask, quirking an eyebrow.

"Because you always bring chips or something. You should enjoy a good, homemade sandwich."

"Aw," I coo, nudging him. "You're so thoughtful. Thank you."

"If you're going to be the best swimmer, you need to fuel yourself," he states matter-of-factly, taking a bite of his own sandwich.

"Look at you, being all supportive," I grin. "I knew you had it in you."

"I don't agree joining the swim team," he points out. "But I support your decision as your best friend."

"Best friend?" I smile.

"Yes, your best friend."

"Yay!"