♚22. ILLUSION

"The face is the mirror of the mind, and eyes without speaking confess the secrets of the heart

"The face is the mirror of the mind, and eyes without speaking confess the secrets of the heart." -St. Jerome

J o r d y n    T a m e

LEXIS AND I sat on the hospital bed in silence. The only interaction we had was our hands intertwined with one another. I continued to stare at the text and shivers spread throughout my whole body.

Someone knew.

Someone knew that Lexis and I were mates and I wasn't sure if it was someone from the pack or someone from the outside world.

"We'll figure something out..." Lexis says, finally breaking the silence.

"Like what?" I question him. "Lexis, not even your status can get us out of this."

Lexis sighs to himself before getting off the bed and getting down on his knees. He takes my hand and squeezes it hard sending a certain shock down my arm.

"Baby girl, I promised you I wouldn't let anything happen to you and I intend to keep that promise." He tells me.

I couldn't respond to him for some reason. All I could think about was the text and the possibilities of outcomes that could come out of it. There were so many questions I had. How did this person get my number? What exactly do they want? This was blackmail.

"You should get some sleep, okay?" Lexis suggests. "You have school tomorrow."

I nod my head before getting off the bed. Lexis stands back up on his feet allowing his height to tower over me. He wraps his arms around me hard and I couldn't help but relax in his touch.

That didn't mean I forgot about the fact that I wasn't safe.

   I walked into the human educational facility for the first time in two days and though it was only two days it felt like weeks

I walked into the human educational facility for the first time in two days and though it was only two days it felt like weeks. I see Lisa already seated and revising some of her notes. I sit down in my seat in confusion, normally Brooke would be here by now.