♚39. HUNGRY

Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow

   Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

L e x i s B l a d e

"Hold on, Alpha! Just hold on!"

"He's alive...he's just barely making it..."

"He's strong. Any other wolf would have died at that blow..."

MY EYES BURNED tremendously as they began to open due to the blurry light that made its transparency. Unrecognizable figures were seen as visions through my eyes, and I released a breath when my eyes were fully open.

Pain, an intolerable pain was consuming my entire body.

"Alpha," the voice of Nurse Revira caught my attention.  "Alpha, it's me. You're under a lot of remedy so you need to relax. Your heart rate is speeding up so take it easy."

"Where are we? What's going on?"

She sighs. "Asking questions isn't part of taking it easy. Right now, our main concern is to keep you alive. We have already signaled those at that island hours ago of your survival."

"He's the Alpha," A familiar voice spoke up. "He deserves to know what's going on in his own pack."

As my eyes began to adjust, the once blurry figure revealed itself to be Mason. He had a few bandages and scratches but other than that he looked to be okay.

"We're in the basement of the pack enduring severe lockdown. When you had callasped out there, I didn't think you were still alive so I ordered the warriors to retreat and immediately called for another lockdown. As we retreated, a few warriors who stayed behind to make sure our enemies didn't advance farther into our borders said that pack 156 started to retreat back as well."

"W-Why? Why would they do that? They had a clear opportunity to finish this."

Mason shook his head in confusion. "That's what we're still trying to figure out, Alpha."

I coughed before sitting up causing Nurse Revira to give me a look of warning.

"How many causalities?"

"We lost around 123 warriors, but no other pack members were harmed." He answered me.

"123?" I questioned in slight shock and that's when I remembered. "My sister! Miranda? How is Miranda?"

Mason was about to speak but Nurse Revira hushed him before turning to me with very serious eyes. "That's enough. You need to rest. You already have a weak wolf. Do you really think it's a smart decision to be involved in pack politics?"

"Pack politics?" I was fuming with anger. "I'm asking about the well being of my people. My family! Now, tell me the fate of my sister?"

Nurse Revira took a long breath before looking away from my eyes. "She is in very critical condition."