Chapter thirteen

Jay walks into ICU where he sees Emilia, sedated, on a vent. It strikes him that she's fully sedated, like she's in a coma. He walks to Erin, who is sitting in a chair by the bed, and puts his hand on her shoulder. She looks up and he can see her eyes full with tears. 'She's got carbon monoxide posioning. Her carboxyhaemaglobin levels is in the 30s. The doctor said there wasn't enough time for physical symptoms to show. They're giving her pure oxygen to reduce it.'

'She's going to be OK.' Jay reassures her.

'She could never recover. That's what they said. They don't know how long she'll be like this. She could be brian damaged.' Erin sobs.

'Emilia is a fighter. Literally.' Jay laughs. 'If she can kick human butts, she can fight this off. She'll get better.' Erin smiles but not for long. 

'Let's go get you something to eat.' Erin just looks at Emilia. 'It's not up for negotiation.' He helps Erin up and they leave.

At 51, Boden calls Casey and Severide into his office. 'I've just had a call from Chicago Med about the two kids from the fire earlier.'

'Yeah, one was Emilia.' Casey says.

'The young boy, Jessy, is doing fine, but Emilia has had to be fully sedated. She's suffered carbon monoxide posioning. Which means...'

'That the other people involved in the fire could have CO posioning.' Severide finishes.

'There's going to be something on the radio, TV, Newspapers in the next few days to inform anyone who was involved in that fire to seek immediate medical attention.' Boden notifies the two luitenants. 'Just thought you'd want to know how they were.' 

'Thank you cheif.' Casey nods and they head out. They walk into the common room and everyone goes quiet.

'How's Emilai and that other kid?' Herrmann asks.

'Emilia has had to be sedated, fully, due to CO posioning. Jessy, the young boy, is doing fine.' Severide tells them.

'Should we do something to cheer Lindsay up?' Gabby questions.

 'Yeah, why not.' Cruz says.

'We could do something at Molly's.' Herrmann suggests. 

'Sounds like a plan!' Casey exclaims and they all get back to their business

Back at the hospital, intelligence is at Emilia's beside. Dr Rhodes walks in. 

'We're going to try and take her off of the vent, her CO levels have dropped more than expected.' He explains. He walks over and a few nurses follow him. 'If we can have some room for a few minutes.' Everyone stands at the end of the bed. Dr Rhodes slowly takes the tube out of Emilia's mouth. She starts to breathe on her own and Erin cries tears of joy. A nurse puts an intra-nasal oxygen tube on Emilia and the nurses leave. 'A few days in hospital and she'll be good as new.' Dr Rhodes smiles and leaves. Antonio decides to call his sister to let her know the good news.

'Hey Antonio.'

'Hey sis. Just wanted to let you know that Emilia is off of the vent. Her CO levels have dropped more than they expected. She should be allowed home in a few days.' 

'That's great. How's Lindsay holding up?'

'Can't tell really. Shaken up.'

'Bring her to Molly's later. Herrmann wants to treat her to something.' 

'OK then. I'll see you later. Bye.'

'Bye.'

Antonio puts the phone down and walks up to Erin.

'We're taking you to Molly's later. Keep you positive.' Antonio tells her.

'I can't just leave her.'

'She'll be fine. She needs all the positive energy you can give her. You can only do that by enjoying yourself and staying positive.'

'OK. But just for a few hours.' 

Later the night, Erin walks into Molly's. She's approached by people giving her their sorrows and wishing for Emilia to get better soon. About half an hour later Herrmann makes an announcemnt. 'Lsiten up everybody! You may know that Emilia Lindsay is in hospital and she is now off of the vent! A little birdie told me that Emilia is a big fan of the british boyband, The Vamps, and as I have a connection, The Vamps has kindly offered to gift VIP tickets to their concert and to meet them. They have also allowed her to have lunch with them AND a day out with them at six-flags!' Everyone claps and he hands all the information to Ein.

'Thanks Herrmann.' Erin says, grateful.

'No probelm.' 

A few days later, Emilia is ready to be discharged. Erin walks in with a big smile on her face. 

'Hi mom.'

'Hey sweetie. You feeling better?'

'Yeah. What's with the big smile.'

'Herrmann has some connections with The Vamps.' She notices Emilia's smile widen. ' The Vamps has kindly offered to gift VIP tickets to their concert and to meet them. They have also allowed you to have lunch with them AND a day out with them at six-flags!'

'Oh my God!' Emilia exclaims.

'You happy?' 

'Yeah! When's it for?'

'Next week! Let's get you changed.'

Emilia gets changed and Erin signs the discharge papers

Emilia gets changed and Erin signs the discharge papers. They then leave and head to Molly's.

When they walk in everyone claps. 'What's this?' Emilia asks. 

'A little surprise party.' Erin smirks. Herrmann walks up to them. 

'Thanks Herrmann.' Emilia says.

'No problem kiddo. Now, go and sit down.' Herrmann responds. Emilia does as she's told and 5 minutes later the whole of Molly's goes quiet. Then, on a pre-prepared stage, a group of boys walk on and Emilia scream. 

'Hello everybody! We're The Vamps and we're here to preform for the one and only Emilia!' Brad announces and everyone claps. They start to preform Stolen Moments and Emilia sings along. Once they finsih everyone cheers and claps. 'Now, Emilia, you're mum told us that you are ace at singing and when she showed us a video earle, we agreed.' Emilia looks back at her mom who smiles. 'How would you like to come and sing with us. Know the lyrics to somebody to you?' Emilia nods. 'Then get up here!' Everyone at Molly's cheers. They preform the song and once they finish everyone claps. The boys then join Emilia at a table where they have lunch. 

The day comes to a close and the boys have to go to their hotel. 'Thank you.' Emilia says.

'No problem. We'll see you at our concert in a couple of days!' Tristan replies. They walk out and Erin approaches Emilia. 

'Enjoyed today?' 

'Hell yeah!' Emilia exclaims.