Chapter twelve

There are screams and people duck down.

'Everyone get to the back wall! Now!' The gunman orders. All the customers scurry to the back wall. The gunman locks the door and when he turns to do so, Emilia whispers.

'When I say now, all run into the kitchen.' Everyone nods and the gunman shuts all the curtains in the shop. He storms over to Emilia and grabs her. He holds a gun to her head whilst restraining her. 'What'd you want with me?'

'You know full well.' The gunman snarls. Emilia looks out of the corner of her eye and sees the safety lock is on.

'Now!' Emilia shouts. Everyone runs into the kitchen and Emilia flips the man over her shoulder and runs into the kitchen with everyone else. She locks the door. 'Help me move that table.' She says to a few customers. They nod and barricade the door. They then barricade the fire exit. She then gets Jessy to dial 911. Emilia looks out and sees the gunman get up. She sees that he opens his vest to reveal a suicide jacket. 'Everyone get back and get down! Cover your head!' Everyone looks confused but does it anyway.

BOOM!

Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61, explosion, Starbucks...

Emilia stood up and looked out the window of the door. He could see that some things were on fire and it was spreading quickly. Smoke was getting through the doors. They moved everything from the fire exit and tried to get out but the door was jammed out. The fire was right up against the main entry to the kitchen. Jessy sees a vent and motions to Emilia to boost him up. 'I'll do it.' She tells him pointing at her heels. 'Can you help me up onto the counter?' Jessy nods and helps her up. She removes the door to the vent and looks in. She sees a ladder and sighs.

'Who's brave enough to go into the vent?' Emilia says as she gets down.

'What do you mean?' A customer asks.

'There's a ladder. I'm assuming it leads to the roof. Can anyone do that and summon help?' Emilia coughs overwhelmed by the smoke. She gets down. Two customers volunteer and they head up. They get into the roof and shout down to firehouse 51 that people are trapped and there's no way out other than the vent. Cruz puts the aerial up and Casey gets them down and hands them over to Brett and Mills. They then try and find a way into the coffee shop to rescue the customers. Sqaud and truck go round the back and force open the fire exit. They enter with their breathing equipment.

'Fire department! Call out!' Severide yells.

'Fire department! Call out!' Herrmann yells.

Over in the corner Emilia starts sending the customers over to the firefighters telling them to stay low. One most of them were out she notices that Jessy had passed out. 'Damn.' She says. She pulls him and Severide and Casey sees and  they join them. Severide takes over dragging Jessy out and then Casey takes Emilia out. Once they are out, Casey and Severide take them over to the amulance. Severide places Jessy on the gurney and Brett sits Emilia on a seat in the ambulance. They take of their breathing apparatus.

'Emilia?' Severide says shocked.

'Hey.' Emilia coughs. Brett gets her stethoscope out and listens to Emilia's chest.

'Reduced air entry. We need to get you to Chicago Med.' Brett tells her.

'How's Jessy?' Emilia asks looking at Mills.

'He's doing OK.' Mills tells her as he puts an oxygen mask on Jessy's face. Mills and Brett then puts Jessy in the ambulance.

Meanwhile, at Chicago Med, it's a slow going day. 'We've got 2 smoke inhalation victims coming in! One unconscious, one walking.' Maggie shouts. Dr Rhodes and Dr Choi run to the entrance, Dr Rhodes grabs a wheelchair as the ambulance pulls up. Mills jumps out of the back and takes Jessy out. Dr Choi helps wheel him in. Brett then gets in the back. She sees that Emilia doesn't look like what she did at the scene.

'Dr Rhodes!' Brett shouts. Dr Rhodes runs into the back as Brett is listening to her chest with the stethoscope. 'Barely any respiratory effort.' Dr Rhodes runs out of the ambulance and grabs a trolley. He loads it into the ambulance and helps Brett move Emilia onto it. They then hook her up to the machine.

'Heart rate 60. SATs 85. We need to intubate.' Dr Rhodes says. Brett then hands over the intubation kit, sedates Emilia and then intubates. 'Get her into a trauma room.' Brett nods and they wheel her out of the ambulance and into the ED. Once in a trauma room they hook her up to all of the machines and get an IV started. Once they had done that Dr Rhodes calls ICU to see if there is a room. He's on the phone for half an hour when he eventually gets told there's a room avaliable. As they are taking her into the lift, Erin runs up.

'Oh my god, Emmy.' She gasps.

'We're taking her upto ICU. They was a fire and  she inhaled a lot of smoke. The doctors in ICU are going to run some tests to see what the full extent of the damage is.' Dr Rhodes explains. 'You can come up with her.' Erin nods and they get in the lift.

'Was there anyone else injured?' Erin asks.

'Yes, a young boy. Jessy Halstead.' Dr Rhodes says.

'You need to tell Will. Jessy's his cousin.' Erin tells him and Dr Rhodes nods as they head into ICU. He hooks her up to all the machines and leaves Erin alone with her daughter.

In the ED, Dr Rhodes approaches Will. 'Will. Your cousin was brought in. Jessy.'

'What? Is he OK?' Will asks.

'I don't know much but he's in treatment 2.' Dr Rhodes replies. Will frantically rushes into the treatment room. He sees Dr Choi treating Jessy.

'Jessy. What happened?' He asks.

'Some maniac came into starbucks with gun, grabbed Emilia and held it to her head. She floored him and we ran into the kitchen and barricaded it. He then blew himself up.' As Jessy finishes his sentence Jay walks in. 'We couldn't get the fire exit open so Emilia looked up in the vent and sent 2 customers up to the roof. We started getting overwhelmed by smoke so she told us to stay down. As soon as she heard the firefighters she started to send all the customers over to them and then I blacked out.'

'Emilia Lindsay?' Jay asks and Jessy nods. 'Where is she now?'

'ICU, I think.' Will tells his brother.

'I'm going to check on her and see if Erin's there.' Jay says. Will nods and Jay walks out.

'How'd you know Emilia?' Will asks.

'We bumped into each other yesterday and we found out that her mom and Jay work together. We exchanged numbers and I text her last night asking if she wanted to meet.'

'She's going to be OK.' Will reassures him. 'How is he Dr Choi?'

'He's fine. We're just giving him oxygen, we will admit him overnight but he should be fine.' Dr Choi explains and then he walks out.