Forty Four _ MISLED

“Umm, you’re welcome?”

It was … awkward.

The way she’d pulled me in tight against her had me nervous for a second but all that went away once I felt the love poured into me by what she really did next.

Even still, like I said, it was awkward. What was she thanking me for? I mean, it’s not like I saved her life! Ridiculously enough, though, she really meant it, and something told me that she needed this so I didn’t try to break away unless she felt ready to.

“You condescending bitch! You have no idea what I’m going through. All you do is mess with other people’s life.” Nicole pulled away with an exasperated sigh and I prepared a smile before coming out from behind her. “And yet you have the nerve to judge…,”

“Hey, Liz.”

“I got a little worried when I didn’t see you. I heard Nicole’s voice outside but …”

“Rina, you’re in my house.” Annoyance literally dripped from those words. “It’s kinda stupid of you to think I am not here.”

I let out a nervous chuckle. “You’re gonna sit down or what?”

Nicole burst through the door before she could answer. Though, it didn’t look like an answer was likely.

“You didn’t have to rush.” I said, noticing how fast she got back, and took the glass of water she just poured. “Thanks.”

“It’s okay. How are you feeling?”

“Fine, actually.” I added a nod to the honest answer and turned back to the unnerving stare coming from Liz. “Do you want some?”

“Okay, I’ve got something to do downstairs. I’ll leave you to yourselves.” She stood up from perching on the edge of the desk. I put the glass onto the nightdesk in a rush and hurriedly got off the bed before tripping. I almost fell over but all for the better, though, because she rushed to help me back onto the bed like I’d thought.

“Will you watch your step? Jesus!”

“Liz, come on. What, you don’t wanna talk to me?” I asked when she stepped back and away again. But the words had barely passed my lips before they lost the frivolity.

“No, I don’t. And if you’re feeling alright, you should leave.”

“Liz, what’s going on?”

“Yeah, Elizabeth. What’s going on?” I didn’t notice Nicole already stood by the foot of the bed till I heard that warning-like rhetorical question.

“You zip that hole, Nik.”

“No. You watch it. I don’t know what you’re getting at and frankly, I don’t give a f*ck.” I got onto my feet when she stepped closer to Liz who stood unfazed. “But whatever the hell it is, now’s not the f*cking time. You know what she’s been through.”

“Oh, I know what she’s been through.” She spat back, shooting a glare at me in between the sentence. “It’s her who doesn’t know what she’s putting me through!”

“Liz, I know …”

“I don’t want to care anymore.” For the first time, her voice began to crack, and her stern look started to break into vulnerability. “You nod that little head to whatever I say but the time comes, you just don’t bother. I ransacked the place. All over it. And guess where I found you? In a video on some guy’s phone. Dying.”

“Shut up, Elizabeth.”

“I didn’t see an end.” I started and they both went silent. “And it felt like the only way.”