Fifteen _ ?

Nicole

I made a beeline to the cafeteria as I dashed out of the class room. I only made it to one class before break since it was quite late in the morning when I left the house. And since I as usual had no desire to touch the food Carol brought, I was famished. But the hunger was kinda good for me because as strange as this might sound, I actually got involved in the class. Even the teacher was impressed. Maybe I should starve myself before going to a class: that could get me better grades.

The first thing I did when I entered was check if my spot was taken. I didn’t like having people around while I was eating so I almost always sit at this table that was in the geek corner of the cafeteria. That way I was free from non-geeks and true-geeks as always knowing their place never interrupted me. And if that spot was taken, the bench I found in sophomore at the back of the auditorium was my home sweet home, which wasn’t necessary today as I found my usual table free.

I scanned the place as I was ordering the food and saw Steve at a table. I had to talk to the guy. He was sort of right about Rina and must probably be thinking I was avoiding him. Well, I was, kind of. But best friends make up after break-up, right?

The smell of burritos in my plate pushed into my nostrils and instantly made my mouth water as I made my way over to my table. I sat down and stated eating as I got to thinking where Chloe was. I knew we had English together and she didn’t show up.

I was half way through my lunch when Elizabeth’s buzzed-up voice carried over to me above other noises in the place and I saw her entered the room. And why didn’t it surprise me to find that she went straight to sit with Steve? He always got along too well with girls having something to do with me. Well, a friend of Rina’s gotta have something to do with me, right?

I was almost finished when I saw Steve and co. got up still talking and were about to leave. Elizabeth had nothing to eat then. Anyway, finishing the milk, I trashed what was left on the plate and watched as they talked and laughed their way through the tables. What, they were buddies now?

 “Steve,” I called when I followed them out the door and we were in the hallway.

He turned, looking surprised then said something to his ‘friends’. I recognized them as Donald and an Asian girl I just had English together with. She was your typical Japanese schoolgirl type: petite frame, adorable pale skin, accentuated by her dark hair, cute face with glassy big brown eyes, completing that I-am-innocent vibe she gave out. Speaking of innocent brunettes, where was Rina? I didn’t see her in their midst but it was quite obvious she left with Elizabeth this morning.

Donald, the geek douche, and the girl left saying goodbye along with Elizabeth, who gave me a weird look before walking away.

“Hey.” He said walking over to where I was now leaning against the wall. Yeah, I lean wherever I could, I was lazy like that, sue me, “Haven’t seen you in a while.”

“Yeah, I just didn’t wanna talk to you.” I told him the truth, making him chuckle. “But I’m sorry for walking out on you that night at the hospital.”

“It’s okay.” He still kept that grin on his face and what he said next almost made me regret I apologized in the first place. “Finally saw it, huh?”

Okay, I finally saw it. But I hated when people try out to point out I was wrong, especially if they were right. “I know I was wrong about her but there’s still…”

“Nik, why aren’t you calling me back?!” it almost startled me when she shrieked and it needed no looking around for me to know who it was. Ashley came to stand in front of me between Steve and I. And I was grateful there was strangely no one around.