Twenty Eight _ Mixed Up

This chapter’s been divided into two parts because it was too long to be one. I hope any reference I used in both chapters doesn’t sound offensive. If it should in any way, I then would like you to know that it is not my intention.

…………………………       

…………………………

Rina

I gave Steve a reassuring look before following Ian as we walked back downstairs.

“I didn’t know you two know each other. Then again, that guy knows practically the whole school.”

I gave him a slight nod and a smile. And then a silence grew. It was that kind that makes you feel awkward. I felt I was supposed to say something.

“I learnt that you’re friends too.” He slowed his pace a little so we were walking side by side and gave me this look of surprise.

“Yeah, we were best friends.”

“Were?” I couldn’t think of what else to talk about. Of course, courtesy of Steve, I knew what happened, way more than what he’d told me the first day we’d met.

“Something happened. It’s not really between him and me, though.”

“You were gone for quite a while. Give him time. He’ll be back.”

“You don’t know us. We were practically born together. Distance or absence has no nothing to do with this. He just … chose his side.”

Not that he whined the words out or something but the way he said it was kinda pity-inducing.  I’m sure he’d have his own side of the story. Though he was already the bad guy to me, I mayb even feel sorry for him if I ever get to hear it.

“Did you know,” he started but paused a little till I felt compelled to look at him, “only 2% of all human beings on this planet have green eyes?”

And the guy was back.

“And you’re probably the only one in this school that does.”

“Wish it could help me with Trig.” I responded with a small chuckle.

“It makes you special.”

And why do I keep comparing it to Derek whenever a guy smiles at me? I just did.

“Special is one of many words NOT to describe me.”

He then stopped as we reached the door and asked, not in that joking manner by which he could back out if the other answer came, or at least I thought so. 

“Rina, do you have a boyfriend?”

And it caught me off guard, too much so for my liking, my cheeks forgot to blush.

“Wh-what do you mean?”

“Thank god you don’t,” Knowingly he beamed, letting out this overdramatic sigh that made me think of Liz as he went out the door and held it open for me.

“I mean, not that I’m glad you…,” His sentence stopped midway. And I found the reason why. Nicole was standing right down there staring at us.

I was quite sure that she didn’t know I knew the story behind them. But I still felt bad. And that surprised look on her face didn’t help much either.  

But at that moment, someone behind her stepped out. And at that moment, the revelation came.

The revelation that, to modestly put it, I was more selfish than I’d thought myself to be. The uneasiness that just gripped me moments ago completely vanished and my own guilt complex took hold of my whole being when I saw Kim’s face.