"It's just some fries"

"THESE are not just any fries. THESE are cheesy fries. And not those cheap ass fries with the half-melted colby jack slices on top, this is real cheese sauce!" I looked at the boy like he was crazy.

My phone buzzed Unbelievable.

I know right?!? I typed in response.

Joey and I watched, phones in hand as Mike stalked over to the lunch line and started trying to flirt with the lunch ladies.

I scoffed. What an amateur.

Ally rolled her eyes "What are you two texting about now?"

"That is not  how you become chosen by the lunch ladies. They know the power they hold and they respect someone who acknowledges it. Mike on the other hand, is being manipulative and that's just not how you win the game if you want brownie points from them."

"Or just brownies" Joey nodded.

We all got back to our lunches and had just started talking about our days when poor ole Mikey came back all annoyed and empty handed.

He plopped himself down on his side of the bench and rested his chin in his hands "Those lunch ladies are mean."

"Well yeah! You were doing it all wrong!" I sighed. "Here, what is it you want?"

"I just want those damn fries!"

I got up from table "I'll see what I can do." Before I got too far I turned around and glared "Anyone touches my goodies, mama bear gets unleashed. Got it?"

They all looked at me weird and nodded. You can look at me as weird as you want, still wouldn't change the fact that I don't mess around when it comes to my food.

"Hey Mikey so they were all out but I got you this brownie instead cause I thought you might -" I was stopped in my tracks by an unsightly image. My eyes zeroed in on my basket of heavenly cheese fries. They looked perfect and untainted by greedy, grubby hands when I left but when I got back with Mike's brownie that was not the case. I heard smacking and slowly raised my gaze to a satisfied Mike.

"Oh my god Dani you were right. Those were some damn good fries." Mike was still sucking cheese sauce off his fingers while Joey stared, horrified.

Ally's face was once again scrunched up in disgust until her eyes moved from Mike's face to mine. In an instant she was up on her feet inching towards me. "Now Dani, we can talk about this. I'm sure they'll have some more fries tomorrow."

"They're all out for the next week. That's why I came back with a brownie instead" I gritted through my teeth.

Aaron and Mike finally looked up and took in my narrowed eyes.

"What the -" was all Mike could get out before I hurled the brownie at his head.

Our table was silent as the fudge-topped brownie slowly slid down his face and plopped on the table.

"Well now that we're all even here, we can just get back to our lunches and forget this ever happened!" Ally faked a smile and sat down, tugging me down with her.

"So! How was Spanish?" Ally chuckled nervously.

"You were in my class." I replied shortly, eyes still narrowed on an unmoving Mike.

"Oh yeah haha, my mistake" she looked to Aaron for help and his eyes grew wide as he shook his head.

"Sooo Aaron, how's math goin so far?"