Chapter 1

*1*

Tired. The most tired I have been in my whole life, it felt like. And just as I was finally drifting into the most desired sleep...my alarm clock went off. I jumped slightly and groaned throwing my pillow at the the clock...or so I thought. It turns out not-so-much. In fact, I was way off. I ended up knocking almost everything off my dresser but my alarm clock. What a great way to start the morning.

As I went to slide of my bed and pick up my things, a second alarm clock sounded, my mother.

"Oh, well look who's already up!" exclaimed.

"Yeah..sort of. Why are you? Awake, I mean."

"I thought you would just shut off your alarm and go back to sleep! And as much as I know you want to, if I can't go back to sleep neither can you" she smiled and stroked my hair. "Plus I don't want you to miss your big day!"

I looked down trying to remember what big day she was talking about, then I suddenly realized what day it was and my face slowly melted into a full frown.

*the night before*

I was just coming out of Aunt Julie's store. She offered me a ride home but I declined, telling her I wanted to walk and it wasn't that far. She argued that it was too cold but I just flashed her my coat and she sighed, looked up at me with a slight smile, and nodded. I ran over to her, gave her a hug, and left the little shop.

As I started to walk I could see my breath in the cold air. A breeze swept by and sent chills up my spine. It was nice to be by myself for a while, just to think.

I decided to cut through the park but when I entered, something was different. It was quiet. Not like there was much noise before; There was just the rustle of the leaves atop trees and the breathy blow of the wind but even that was silenced. I continued to walk, faster now. My mind racing with crazy thoughts.

But after a while, nothing happened, so I felt at peace again. My pace slowed down in my step and in my heart beat, and I was relaxed. Suddenly someone grabbed me from behind. With a hand over my mouth and another tugging at my waist, I screamed beneath their gloved hand. I struggled to turn around, to at least see who it was but their grip just tightened. Panicked, I looked around for a weapon: a fallen branch, a heavy rock, anything. In that instant there was only one thing I could think to do: bite. I bit hard and despite their thick gloves it was good enough to buy me some time. They pulled back their hand ever so slightly and I managed to grab a hold of their arm and twist it. I turned around and did what I always planned to do in a situation like this. I slammed my knee in between their legs and brought their head down hard onto my leg. He let out a whimper and collapsed to the ground. Just as I thought, a dude. I was kneeling down to get a good look at my attackers face when he swung his legs around under my feet and took off. Looking back at me once with dark eyes before he disappeared. Leaving something behind...