[PATRICK - RQ] Just Joking

Requested by the incredibly awesome blockhead_allnight...

You're sitting on Patrick's bed, your legs crossed and your hands in your lap as you watch him extract nearly every piece of clothing from his closet. He picks out a striped, button-down shirt and turns around to face you, holding the shirt up to his chest. "What about this?"

You giggle. "Are you going to a business meeting or on tour?"

He groans in frustration and hangs the shirt back up on the rack. "I don't know what to wear, (Y/N). This is the guys' and my first real tour and I don't know if I need to dress up or-"

"Patrick, you're going to be fine. Just wear what you normally wear," You interrupt him, the corner of your lips curled up into a smirk as he walks over to the bed and flops down beside you.

"I'm going to be away for four months," He announces what's already known, his hands folded on top of his stomach and his bluish green eyes locked on the ceiling, "Four whole months. What am I going to do for four whole months?"

You lie down beside him and heave a sigh, mirroring him and looking at the same thing he's looking at. "I don't know. Play music, get drunk, sign people's boobs, the usual things a rock star does."

A chuckle slips past Patrick's lips. "I'm not a rock star, (Y/N)."

"Mhmm, sure. Tell that to your debut at No. 9 on the Billboard 200 and seven already sold-out shows."

He turns his head and smiles at you. You playfully punch him in the arm and the two of you lie there for a little more, staring at the ceiling above you both and saying nothing to one another. That is, until the grin on Patrick's face fades and he murmurs, "I wish you could come with me."

"I do too, but I've got work," You mutter with an eye roll.

"I'm going to miss you while I'm gone."

"I'm going to miss you too," You reply.

You and Patrick have been friends since Kindergarten, when you were the new kid and the teacher told you to sit next to the boy in the back with blonde hair and blue eyes. The teacher never intended for you two to grow as close as you did that year, or for you to stay friends all throughout your school careers.

You and the singer are, dare I say, inseparable. You've done everything together, even his band practices. Sure, you don't play any instruments or sing, but you're always there to applaud them or to give them the criticism they need but don't typically get from anyone else. You've gone to all of the shows he's played with various bands and you're probably their biggest fan.

With all the time spent together, it was only natural for the two of you to grow feelings other than those of friendship for one another. Afraid you'd lose the friendship you both held closest to your hearts, neither you nor Patrick acted on those feelings. You blamed yours on the hormones and Patrick blamed his on Pete pressuring him to get laid with every chance he could get.

However, you're both 21 now and you're not getting any younger, nor have those feelings gone away. Plus, the older you get, the harder it is for you two to be together. You're busy with school and he's busy traveling down the path to fame. And with the way things are now, those two roads aren't converging any time soon.

Patrick bites his lip - thinking about that - and, once again, looks over you. "Hey, when I come back, do you want to marry me?" He blurts out without giving it a second thought.

Your eyes widen, his words hitting your ear, and you meet his gaze. "What?"

"What?" He panics, realizing what he just said.

"Did you just ask me to marry you?"

He matches your expression and nervously laughs. "I-I was just joking...clearly."

An awkward giggle slips past your lips and you break out into a meek grin. "Oh, okay."

"Y-Yeah," He stammers, a red blush creeping up in his cheeks as he turns his head the other way and closes his eyes, mentally beating himself up for saying something so stupid.

"If you weren't joking, though, my answer would've been yes," You say softly. He glances back at you and sees you're still lying on your back.

"It would've been?"

"Well, I mean, I'd have to think about it while you were away..." You tell him, avoiding his gaze at all costs, "...but in the end, my answer would be yes."

Patrick can't help the excited smile that appears on his face. "Really?"

You nod your head, pulling yourself up and swinging your legs over the edge of the bed, unable to face him as you admit, "I mean, if you haven't noticed, Patrick, I haven't had the best of luck when it comes to guys, and you're the only person I see still being my side in my future, so..."

He crawls across the bed and positions himself beside you, leaning forward in an attempt to catch your gaze that you avert away from him. "You really feel that way?"

It's your turn to redden in embarrassment.

Patrick smirks and dares to bring his hand up, placing his fingers underneath your chin and turning your head so that you had no other choice than to look at him. "What if I told you that I feel the same way?"

You fail to hold back the giggle that slips past your lips as you reply, "What? That you haven't had the best of luck when it comes to guys?"

He sighs. "No, (Y/N), I mean-"

"I know what you mean," You cut him short for the second time.

"So what do you say?" The singer asks you, "Will you? Marry me?"

You take his hands in yours and give them a slight shake. "Slow down, Patrick. How about you ask me again when you come back?"

"But that's so far away..." He groans, a slight whine in his voice as you release his hands and stand up, walking over to the closet and pulling out a chunk of t-shirts. You drop them into the suitcase he has opened on the floor and spin around to face him.

"Come on, Patrick, these clothes aren't going to pack themselves," You mumble teasingly, throwing a shirt at him that lands right on top of his face. He snatches the piece of clothing off of him and rolls up, playfully glaring at you. You stick your tongue out at him.