[PATRICK] Intervention - Part Two

You're sitting on the tiled bathroom floor, your back against the side of the tub and your head tilted back. Your eyes are closed and you're finding it difficult to breathe. You're trying your best to hold on, to not fade into the darkness that seemed to be caving in.

What brings you back to reality is the sound of the front door opening. Your eyes pop open and you tilt your head forward.

"(Y/N)?" You hear. It's Pete.

You quickly hide all of your paraphernalia (spoon, needle, lighter) and rise to your feet. You're dizzy and you almost fall over, but you keep yourself balanced and somehow manage your way downstairs, where you find Pete looking for  you.

"Pete?" You ask. He spins around so he's facing you and smiles.

"There you are."

You roll your rolled-up sleeves down, "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, I just wanted to talk to you. You know, catch up. I haven't seen you in a while."

You chuckle and cross your arms, "Pete, we saw each other last week. At the studio. Remember?"

"Oh yeah," He rubs the back of his neck nervously, "But that doesn't mean we can't talk, does it?"

"No I guess not."

"Awesome. Let's go for a drive. I want to go somewhere," He tells you, grabbing you by the hand and dragging you out of the house, not giving you a chance to object.

*****

Pete takes you to a beach not too far from where you live - about an hour away. At the beach, he buys you and him an ice cream. You're sitting on the sand,  along with at least a hundred other people, with the waves crashing the shore and occasionally reaching the tips of your toes.

"Why'd you bring me out  here?" You question him out of the blue as you swirl your plastic spoon  around in the melted ice cream in your paper dish.

"I thought you could use a day off," He answers simply, shrugging his shoulders.

"A day off?"

"Yeah. Patrick asked me to."

You look over at him, "He asked you to give me a day off?"

"Well, not really. He asked me to get through to you. But I thought we could do some fun stuff  before things get all serious." He shovels a spoonful of his also-melted ice cream into his mouth.

"Get what through to me?"

"I heard you relapsed,  (Y/N)," He admits to you. You hang you head in shame. "You were doing so  well. How long were you sober...seven months? I just don't understand what went wrong."

"I don't want to talk about this with you, Pete," You mutter under your breath, setting the dish down in the sand.

"Well then who are you going to talk to about it?"

"No one."

"But you know you have people who love and care about you and who want to help you."

You shake your head and avert your gaze to the side, getting upset. "Who said I wanted help?"

"You relapsed, (Y/N). No one needed to say anything."

"Oh shut up, Pete," You glare back at him, "I don't want to hear it, especially coming from you."

"But I'm the one you  need to hear it from. Because I've gone through the exact same thing you're going through and I can relate to you like no one else you know can. And right now you need me. And you need to know that if you keep doing this, (Y/N), you're going to end up killing yourself!"

You scoff and stand up, "You're sounding just like Patrick."

"Maybe because Patrick  knows what he's talking about," Pete stands up as well, "This isn't his first time dealing with something like this. He had to deal with me, remember?" You roll your eyes. "He doesn't like seeing you like this. And I don't either. No one does. And I'm sorry to break this news to  you, but if you don't work on getting better, you're going to die. Do you want to die, (Y/N)?"

You remain silent.

"You don't want to die, (Y/N), trust me. I would know. I almost did and it wasn't fun. All it was was darkness. Pitch black darkness. There's nothing waiting for you  on the other side. What you've got now is the best you're ever going to have. And if I were you, I'd stop risking losing it. Because once you're gone, you're gone. And there's no coming back."

"Can we just go home?" You inquire, not wanting to continue this conversation.

He checks the watch on his wrist and sighs, "Yeah, I guess so. I think we've been out long  enough." You give him a weird look before the two of you make your way back to his car.

*****

Pete pulls up to Patrick's house and you immediately get out of the car. Pete follows after you as you walk up to the front door and push it open. You walk into the house and are shocked to see Patrick, Joe, Andy, your parents, Patrick's mom, and your two best friends all sitting in the living room. Pete walks up behind you.

"What are all you guys doing here?" You ask apprehensively.

"Sit down, (Y/N)," One  of your best friends tells you. You slowly make your way into the living  room and sit down next to Patrick. He takes your hand in his and  squeezes it tight.

"You didn't answer my question," You state agitatedly.

"We need to talk, (Y/N)," Andy retorts, still not answering your question.

"You need to stop this behavior," Your father adds.

"What 'behavior'?"

"I just want my little  girl back," Your mother interjects, tears already forming in her eyes. Patrick's mother hands your mom a tissue, which she gratefully accepts.

"(Y/N), I'm really worried about you," Patrick tells you, his voice breaking, "I love you so much and I don't want to lose you to something like this. I know you can kick this, I know you can get better. You've done it once before, you can do it again."

You just sit there, trying to keep your calm. Other people attempt to plead to you to change your ways, but you're too upset to even listen to what they say. At one  point, you reach your breaking point and you just stand up and leave. Patrick follows after you as you walk outside, grabbing your keys and sunglasses.

"(Y/N)," Patrick says as you make your way over to your car, putting your sunglasses on. You yank open the driver's side door and slip into your vehicle and drive away. "(Y/N)!" Patrick yells as you speed away. You disappear around the corner. Patrick heaves a sigh and runs his fingers through his hair.

To Be Continued...