"Caring and loving are two different things," I said coldly. 

   Aragorn's eyes darkened imperceptibly. "But never have I seen Legolas in such joy when he was with you. And if caring and loving are two different things, then why do I see Legolas giving you both?"

   I felt a sudden stillness overcome me, my body frozen against my will. 

  But Aragorn was not finished. "And you will excuse me for saying so, Evelyn, but I have seen Legolas and Tauriel together, and never had Legolas once looked at her in the way he looks at you." 

   Sweeping into a bow, Aragorn turned on his heel without a backward glance, leaving me at a loss for words... 

***

   I urged Larein on, her hooves thudding against the ground. Snapping the reins, I recited the directions in my mind, forcing her to veer sharply to the left. "Good girl, just a few more leagues," I coaxed, stroking her mane. It was the third day of riding, and frankly, I was thirsty, tired, and beaten down. Add that to the fact that it was raining, and I can say, quite untruthfully, that it was a great day of travel. Untruthfully, that is. 

  Judging from Larein's slowing pace, I drew her back, stopping her gently. "That's enough for now," I whispered, dismounting and grasping her by her muzzle. Pulling her over towards the forest, I exhaled in relief as the sheets of rain drizzled away, replaced by the thundering noise of water hitting the leafened canopy above. Larein neighed in distress, shaking her pelt annoyedly. "What was I thinking?" I thought, caught by a fresh wave of despair, "did I really think that the Steward would listen? After all this time, did I think he would give up his place to Aragorn-- the rightful king of Gondor? And did he know of his son's death--Boromir?" A pang of grief went through my heart, threatening my balance.

   Sighing, I tethered Larein to a nearby branch, taking the hunting tread. Of course, a bow and arrow would have helped, but I had other means of getting food. Striding over to a tree, I grabbed a handful of roots, recognizing the three-heart shaped yellow petals-- Lissuin-- the Elven flower of hope. Sniffing it gingerly, I immediately smelled the sweet fragrance trapped within-- a ray of sunshine in the dismal grey clouds. 

      And how could I have forgotten the flower that had given me such hope? I could remember it now, like a trapped memory... 

     I tore out of the forest, my eyes streaming and my hands burned with the hate. Guilt permeated my soul, clogging my mind and sending clouds of red into my vision. All my fault. All of it was all my fault. 

    Collapsing to the ground, I unclenched my fingers, the imprint of the hairpin stabbed into my hand. Why? I screamed in my head, to the Earth, to the forsaken Valar that had allowed all of this to happen. Danalia, who was innocent; Danalia who had not a single drop of blood on her hands had been killed, mutilated.... No, the word was murder... 

     I felt the urge to cry, to sob and wail for the dead, but my pleas faded to the wind, and the ears of the dead would no longer listen. I was broken, no, to be broken, I had to be something, something of value. I was nothing, nothing at all.