Constellations

A/N- Oddly enough, I have been granted my first free-ish day this entire school year. So, I chose to write. I can't promise there will be another update soon, but in the meantime, enjoy!

The light from the window dimmed as the minutes ticked by, and soon, Nadie could no longer read the words on the pages. It was time for Astronomy. She gathered up her supplies and walked over to Gretchen's bed. "Wakey-wakey..."

"Shut up..." Gretchen mumbled and turned over. "I needed my beauty sleep?"
"Beauty sleep?" Nadie asked cheekily. Gretchen ran her hands through her now matted hair.
"Come on!" She quickly got up to grab a hairbrush.
"Maybe that will teach you to wait until later to sleep!"
"Nah," Gretchen replied, yanking the brush through her hair.
"Hurry up! We'll be late for Astronomy!"

"Ugh, who's idea was night classes, anyway?"
"Well, you can't exactly see the stars in the afternoon." Gretchen scowled and collected her supplies. A message formed on the board on their door: 'Today, astronomy is located outside of the North Tower'. The girls headed towards their last class of the day.

The area outside of the tower was extremely dark. "Lumos!" Nadie said, wishing for a bit of light.
"Hey! Nox that, will you!" Embarrassed, Nadie extinguished her wand. "It's okay. It's just easier to see all the stars when they are the only lights shining. Do you understand?"
"Yes... Professor..."

"Oh, how rude of me! I'm Professor Ursa Corona. Now, would you set up your telescope over to there?"
Nadie squinted and saw the slight outline of her professor's hand pointing towards the far corner of the space. She walked towards the space carefully, trying her best not to trip over anything in the dim light.

"Hi, Nadie!" Nadie jumped.

"Oh... hi, Malcolm!" she stuttered. "You got me there. I can't see anything out here. Hey, is Hugo back?"

"Nah, he's still 'healing'. I wonder how long he'll stay there?"

"As long as possible, I bet. The only class he likes is the one that got him injured."
"I'm not too sure if I like this class. I can't see anything through this!" Malcolm said, his voice full of frustration. Nadie peered through the end and saw only black.
"Well, I think I might know your problem."
"What?" Malcolm asked. Nadie turned the telescope around.
"You left the cap on!" Malcolm groaned and removed the cap.

"Much better. I..."

"Alright students!" the teacher interrupted. "Welcome to Astronomy. I'm going to skip that long, philosophical introduction that you probably got from your other teachers and move right on to the fun. Look at all of these stars. Amazing, aren't they? And, as you probably know, they come together to make constellations. But how did people come up with these shapes? Today, you'll make up your own constellations, using this night sky as your inspiration. Go!"

"Alright!" Malcolm exclaimed. "This will be fun!" The children took out quills and parchment.

Nadie peered into her telescope and looked at the plethora of stars. It was almost overwhelming.
"I've already got one!" Malcolm said.
"What would it be?" Nadie queried.
"A cinnamon roll constellation!" Nadie sighed.
"I have an inkling that your constellation map will look more like a buffet."

"And I have an inkling that you will be correct!" he said, adding in an ice cream cone constellation. Nadie looked back through the lense and considered the sky before her. "There's Gemini!" she said, pointing at the constellation. She had always held this constellation dear, as it reminded her of her twin sister. She wondered how her sister was doing here.
"Hey, I made another!" Malcolm said, interrupting her thoughts.
"What?"
"Chocolate bar!" Nadie groaned.

"Well, I just made one!"
"What is it?" Malcolm asked eagerly.

"A book!"

"Darn, I can't eat a book." The children went on like this until Nadie noticed movement on the grounds out of the corner of her eye.
"Malcolm, do you think someone would be outside at this hour?"

"Besides us, no... you'd get lost!" Nadie grabbed her wand and covered the end.
"Lumos!" She held the covered light up next to the end of the telescope and pointed it towards the ground. Slowly, she let a little of the light out. She peered through the lense. A girl was sleepily walking across the court. "Malcolm! Look at this!" Malcolm look throught the telescope.
"I guess that's a bit odd. I wouldn't suppose she's sleepwalking?" Nadie looked again.
"Nah. But it seems a bit odd." The girl entered a door on the far end. "I think she's just gone inside. Should we tell the Professor?"

"Nah, she's inside now. There's nothing wrong with that."
"Alright. I still think she didn't look very well. And out there at this hour?"
"Nadie, relax!" Malcolm exclaimed.

"Fine," Nadie agreed.

"Hey! Turn that wand off!""Sorry, Professor!"

A/N-Sorry that was a bit short. But homework doesn't do itself!

Nadie Lee and The Ghosts of Ilvermorny (Completed ✔️)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara