A Charming First Class

Nadie practically ran down the spiral staircase that connected the Finnimar tower to the rest of the castle. Yes, she thought it was very cool, but going down this staircase was not. Finally, she reached the lower level. Breathing heavily, she proceeded towards the great hall.

"You're going the wrong way!" a voice called out. Nadie swiveled on the spot and searched for the source. However, there was no one there. She took out her book and turned to the page with the map. No, she was going the right way. She continued on. "Turn around! You're going the wrong way!" Nadie stopped again. She still could not figure out the source of the noise. She knew she was directionally challenged, but she knew how to read a map. She started walking again. "Stop! You..." Nadie turned quickly and spotted the source.

"You again!" She exclaimed, giving the painting a stern look. "I knew I was going in the right direction," she said indignantly. "Now will you please leave me alone?" she hurried towards the great hall, leaving the man in the painting sputtering behind her. Instantly, she spotted Malcolm's fiery red hair and went over to sit next to him.

"Ah, Nadie! Good morning!" Nadie looked at his plate.
"That's a lot of cinnamon rolls," she remarked, counting them up in her head.
"You'd better not be taking my cinnamon rolls," Malcolm said, putting his arm around the plate protectively. Nadie laughed.

"Don't worry, they're all yours." She began loading up her plate with all of the gloriously unhealthy food. "So, what's your schedule?" she queried.
"Mmmph ammph fmmph bmmph," Malcolm replied. Nadie raised an eyebrow. Malcolm held up his hand and swallowed. "Sorry, let me get it," he said, and pulled a scrap of parchment out of his stack of books. Nadie set hers down on the table to compare.

"Looks like we have the same schedule," she noted. "Hey, where's Hugo?" she remembered.

"Oh, he stayed up late last night, so I don't know if he's awake yet. I did too, but I don't need sleep!" Nadie figured he'd feel differently after a few classes, but didn't say anything.

"Speaking of which, where's Gretchen?" Malcolm asked.

"Right here!" Nadie heard as Gretchen suddenly sat down behind her. "Good morning!" The rest of breakfast went by in a blur as Gretchen and Malcolm chatted incessantly. Hugo arrived a few minutes before Nadie insisted it was time to leave. He sat down and lazily grabbed a muffin.
"Guys, I think you should go to sleep earlier tomorrow," Nadie commented. The boys groaned. "Seriously, if you want to do your best, you need to get some rest."
"Gosh, I thought I had left my mom at home," Malcolm joked, then yawned.

"Uh huh," Nadie said, smirking, and picked up her rucksack. "We'd better get going. We don't want to be late for our first class!" Reluctantly, the other children got up and followed Nadie out of the great hall. She pulled out the map again.

"I'm so glad that we have the same schedule," Gretchen said as the followed Nadie. "Partly because I didn't write it down." Nadie sighed.
"Honestly, Gretchen..." Luckily, the trip to the charms classroom was a quick one. The four children took seats next to each other and waited for their professor to come. Nadie took out her Charms textbook and writing materials, and began to head a piece of parchment.

"Oh, you're taking notes?" Gretchen said.
"And you aren't?" Nadie countered. Gretchen shook her head.

"I stand by what I said earlier."
"What?"
"You're a huge nerd!" Nadie frowned.
"Oh, in a good way, of course," Gretchen said quickly. "Especially if you let me use those notes."
Nadie raised an eyebrow. "Oh, alright," Gretchen sighed. Other students began filing into the classroom Nadie saw her sister walk in with a group of Remushaws, chatting animatedly.

"Confringo!" A pile of parchments on the table in the front of the room burst into flames. All the students became silent and turned towards the flaming stack. It seemed like their professor had appeared out of nowhere. Nadie scribbled down the spell and wrote 'fire explosion' next to it.
"Now that I have your attention, welcome to Charms," the professor said as she put out the flames. "I am Professor Klingmayer, and I will be teaching your class for the span of your time here at Ilvermorny.

"In my class, you will learn all sorts of spells, jinxes, hexes and charms. What you learn here will be useful in all of your classes, and even more so in your day to day lives. A wizard that knows a wide variety of spells will be most successful in our magical world. Today, we will start with one of the simplest spells, the wand lighting spell."

"You sure know what that one is," Gretchen whispered loudly to Nadie. Professor Klingmayer turned towards them.
"What was that, Miss..."
"McGann," Gretchen answered, unfazed.

"Miss McGann, you were saying?"
"I think Nadie here knows this spell pretty well," she said.
"Oh no..." Nadie muttered as heads turned her way.
"Alright, Nadie, would you like to demonstrate this spell?" Nadie assumed that this was not a suggestion. She pulled out her wand reluctantly.
"Lumos!"

A few students gaped as the tip of Nadie's wand lit up.
"Very good, Nadie. And please, keep the chit chat to a minimum." Professor Klingmayer stared pintedly at Gretchen. "The wand lighting spell, as simple as it is, can have many uses." Gretchen glared at Nadie. Nadie glared back.
"Seriously? I hate being the center of attention." she grumbled.
"That's revenge for this morning." The professor began listing basic uses for the wand lighting spell, and Nadie copied them all down. Then, the students were instructed to try the spell. Exclamations of

"Lumos!" filled the classroom. Most of the students did pretty well at this.

"Now, the last thing for today. Ah, Nadie, can you demonstrate the light extinguishing spell for us?" Nadie's cheeks burned, but she obliged.
"Nox!" The tip of her wand went back to normal.
"Everyone practice these two spells. See you tomorrow!" All of the students rushed towards the door after putting out their wands, and Nadie packed up her supplies. Aside from the attention, she had thoroughly enjoyed the class.

"Time for transfiguration!" Malcolm exclaimed, and they began the trek towards the next class.