The Girl in the Picture

Malcolm sped towards the ground and jumped off his broom.

"I wo... oh. Hugo!" Nadie and Malcolm supported him from both sides and brought him to a standing position.

"Ow..." he muttered, biting his lip. Gretchen came running back with the flight instructor.
"Congratulations, Hugo, you're our first injury of the year."

"Do I get a prize?" he quipped. The teacher shook her head in disbelief.
"Come on, I'll lead you guys to the hospital wing. Don't worry, Hugo, you'll be feeling fine quite soon."

The boy groaned.
"I don't know about that." The group slowly moved towards the hospital wing.

"Merlin!" Hugo yelped as he accidentally put weight on his injured foot.
"Be careful!" Nadie hissed. "Please, don't ever do stuff like that on your broom ever again!" Hugo sighed.
"Why are you scolding him now! He's injured!" Malcolm protested as Hugo made a pitiful face.

"You too, Malcolm!" Malcolm scowled. "You should be wanting to spend all your time here in the hospital wing!"

"I usually don't agree with Nadie, but I'm with her on that one," Gretchen said. Nadie raised an eyebrow. "What?" The boys snickered. Finally, the children entered the room. The nurse led Hugo to a cot.
"Children... always injuring themselves... on the first day no less," she chattered, sorting through potions and remedies. "Ah, here," she said, measuring a potion into a cup for Hugo. "This will take a few hours, but soon, your foot will be good as new."

"Wow!" Nadie exclaimed. "That fast?"

"Yes, that fast!" the nurse answered.

"However does it work?" Nadie queried. The nurse pitched into a long-winded explanation, and Nadie listened intently. Then, she heard the other children faking snores behind her.
"Hey! Cut it out!" The boys snickered. "How's your foot, Hugo," Nadie asked.
"It's...there," Hugo replied with a wince.

"Alright, you three, you'd best be heading on out of here. Hugo needs some time to recover."

"Do we have to?"

"Go!"
Once the children were out of the room, Hugo screamed into his pillow. "What was that for?" the nurse asked. "Nothing..." he answered.

***

"What should we do now?" Malcolm said.

"Follow me!" The children turned around quickly.
"Where did that voice come from?" Gretchen asked.
"Over here, silly!" Nadie twirled on the spot. It seemed to be coming from behind her. Then, it dawned on her.
"Oh, you guys, it's just another one of these silly paintings. They are always trying to mess with me."

"Don't listen to her! She's no fun." the voice argued.
"Hey!" Nadie protested, but Malcolm and Grethen laughed.

"I don't know, Nadie, this...um...person is pretty funny!" Gretchen said.

"Please, it's just going to try and prank you or something."

"How can it? It's a painting!" Malcolm replied.
"I... I don't know, okay. I just don't like these paintings very much."
"You don't like me?" Finally, the children spotted the source. The picture showed a little girl holding a fluffy, white cat. The figure sniffled.
"Now, see what you did! You've hurt her feelings." Malcolm cried.
"Please, it's just an act, I bet," Nadie countered, but she did feel a bit guilty.
"Fine, if you don't trust me, you can follow Snowball!"
"Come on, it's just a cat! Of course we can trust it." Gretchen said.
"Really..." Nadie muttered.

Malcolm and Gretchen started following the cat as it trotted through the paintings.
"Wait! Why do ou want us to follow you?" Nadie asked frantically.

"It's... a surprise?" the girl said nervously.

"Alright, you guys!" Nadie dragged them back towards her. "Did you hear that?"
"Well, if you really don't want us to," Malcolm sighed.
"Ugh, you're no fun." Gretchen muttered. Nadie was hurt, but she had a feeling that she had made the right choice.
"Study hall is almost over, guys. Let's head over to dinner." Nadie said quietly.

"Yes! Food!" Malcolm picked up his pace, soon overtaking the girls.
"What is it with him and food?" Gretchen said under her breath.

"It's his greatest love," Nadie whispered. The children giggled.
"What?" Malcolm asked indignantly.
"Oh, nothing," Nadie said, smiling. Once he had turned his head, Gretchen made a heart with her hands. Nadie covered her mouth to stifle a laugh.

***

"It's too bad Hugo is missing this," Malcolm said as he stuffed his face with a biscuit.
"I do hope they're not starving him up there," Gretchen replied.

"I'm sure he's fine," Nadie said. "He's probably asleep."

"Trpphmm," Malcolm said.

"What?"
"True."

"Oh. Someone should take notes for him, though. He may miss astronomy!" The other children stared at Nadie. "Of course... But my hand is pretty tired from all the notes I took today."

"Right," Gretchen said.
"Fine," Nadie said in surrender. "Hey, free time is next. What are you guys planning on doing?"
"I will be taking a nap," Gretchen said matter-of-factly. "I'm still on my summer sleep schedule." She yawned as if to prove her point.

"You know, I might copy your idea," Malcolm said, rubbing his eyes.
"Ah, you lazybums. I think I'll practice."
"Practice what?" Gretchen said as she stood up.

"Violin."
"Right. Don't do it in our room, though!" Nadie sighed.
"Great. Now where am I going to practice?"
"I'm sure you'll find somewhere." The kids began to make their way back up to the rooms.
"I guess I'll hold off on the practice for today and organize the dorm."

"Organize?" Gretchen looked at her incredulously. "You sure are one odd girl."

"It has been said," Nadie muttered, walking ahead of the group.

Once they made it back to the Finnimar tower, Gretchen immediately flopped onto her bed.
"Good night!" Then, she kicked off her shoes and shoved a pillow over her face as Nadie opened the curtains.

"Wow..." Nadie whispered. She was absolutely sure that her room had the best view. She hurried over to her desk and grabbed a stack of books. Then, she placed them on a stand next to the bay window. "Perfect," she said to herself. She sat down on the cushions and cracked open a book.

A/N- I'm starting band camp tomorrow, so it may be a bit before the next installment arrives. Thank you so much for reading. You guys are the best! Be sure to comment/vote if you're enjoying the story.