Accidents Happen

A/N- I just got my wisdom teeth out yesterday, so take that as you will.

It turned out study hall was next. "I'm going to the library," Nadie said. Her friends groaned.
"Seriously?" Gretchen asked.

"I have homework, and I intend to get it finished," Nadie replied. "Besides, we have free time later."

Gretchen sighed. "I just don't understand you sometimes."

"You ought to do your homework now, too!" Nadie said, pulling Gretchen in her direction.

"Are you kidding? Nope, you aren't..." Gretchen surrendered. "Fine. But I'll be looking for some books to read while we're there." Nadie shrugged. Whatever could get Gretchen to the library worked for her.
"Malcolm, Hugo?"

"We'll meet you there in a bit," Malcolm said, before running off after Hugo.

"Boys..." Gretchen muttered. Once the girls reached the library, their eyes widened in awe.

"I've never seen this many books in my entire life!" Nadie exclaimed. Gretchen noisily threw her books down on a short table and rushed towards the shelves.
"SHH! And no running!" A young man exclaimed sternly. Gretchen slowed down, but her enthusiasm was undeterred. Nadie organized her supplies on the table opposite of Gretchen's spot. All she really had to do was practice the wand lighting and extinguishing spells and finish her History paper.

"Lumos! Nox! Lumos! Nox!" Her wand flashed repeatedly. Nadie was pretty sure that she had gotten the hang of it, so she put it up and pulled out her history paper. She hadn't gotten very far in class. After all, there was so much to write about. Nadie started writing about when she had first started taking music lessons when Gretchen ambled over to the table with a huge stack of books.

"These seem somewhat interesting," she commented. "Oh! Are you working on your history paper? I'm still pumped about that." she dug through her bag and pulled out a sizeable sheet of parchment. "There's just so much to write about!" Nadie nodded in agreement and kept on scribbling. She got to her first day of public school. She remembered that that was the first year that she wasn't in a class with her sister. They had been best friends before then. But when lunchtime came that day, 5-year-old Nadie spotted her sister surrounded by other little girls. She sat eating her sandwich by herself that day. Things had pretty much remained that way throughout the whole of Nadie's elementary school experience. She learned to bring a book to lunch, and even to class. Once or twice, she got caught reading in class. But she wasn't missing anything. Nadie knew she was learning more from reading than listening to her no-maj teachers drone on and on.
Nadie zoned back in and started writing again. She used to think that her life before Ilvermorny was pretty interesting, but the more she wrote, the less it seemed true. It was the same thing every day: school, books, music, repeat. Sure, there were a few things that stuck out. But it seemed like Nadie's life had just begun.

Nadie ended her paper on this note and rolled up her parchment. It was only 4:30.

"Where are you at, Gretchen," Nadie queried.
"Oh, I'm about halfway." Nadie sighed and got up from the table. She figured that she might take a look around. At the back of the library were giant windows that overlooked the courtyard. Nadie spotted the shapes of a few children. One had fiery red hair. "Malcolm!" she whispered. Malcolm and Hugo had signed out some brooms and were practicing. Nadie considered this. She wasn't all that great at flying. But she wanted to be great at everything here. Naturally. She walked back to the table, where Gretchen was scribbling away. "Gretchen, are you close?"
"Why?"
"I want to go practice flying," she blurted out. Gretchen sighed.

"The boys are out there, aren't they." Nadie nodded.

"Give me five more minutes. I suppose I can leave out going to one my favorite concerts," She said sadly. Nadie rolled her eyes and began packing up her stuff. When she finished, she pulled out her wand.

"Lumos..."
"Gah!" Gretchen exclaimed as she closed her eyes quickly. "Tell me when you're about to practice! Please!" Nadie apologized, snorting, and put her wand back in her bag. "Well, I guess I'm ready to go. OOPH!" Gretchen grabbed onto a chair to keep herself from falling.

"You may... have too many books."
"Too many?" Gretchen said, as if Nadie had just said she had 3 heads. Nadie sighed. Well, at least they had one thing in common.

Once the girls finally made it to the courtyard, they spotted Malcolm and Hugo in the middle.
"Hey!" Malcolm waved, and dropped 5 feet. "Woah!"
"Careful there, hotshot!" Gretchen laughed, and put down her book. Nadie followed suit. They went to take out a broom.

"These are the last two," the instructor said. Nadie looked at the gnarled wood and brittle branches.
"It'll do," she muttered, and went to join the boys. "UP!" Not surprisingly, the broom stayed on the ground. "UP!" It shifted a bit, but did not travel up to Nadie's hand. Again and again, Nadie tried, until finally, her broom whacked her in the face. "Not again," she groaned, and rubbed her eye. Slowly, she mounted the broom. Wobbling, she aimed the end up and immediately shot in that direction. Her knuckles white around the handle, she brought herself down, shaking. "Gee..." she muttered. This was going to take a lot of work. Gretchen crashed down beside her.
"Just look at them," she grumbled. Hugo and Malcolm were going higher and higher, as if trying to see which one could go the highest. Nadie sighed. "Showoffs." Hugo caught their gaze and lifted his arms up off the handle.
"DON'T!" the girls shrieked. But it was too late. Hugo came tumbling down towards the grass. He grabbed the handle with his hands, but then, his legs slipped off. His right foot hit the ground first with a crack. Nadie gasped and sprinted towards him. "Hugo!" The boy groaned and curled up around his foot.

"I think it's broken," he said.

"Really," Nadie said, exasperated. It was time for their first visit to the nurse.