2.5

Luke’s POV

I didn’t stay and wait to see her reaction.

When I drove back to Ariel and Zoey’s apartment and noticed their car was gone, I decided to leave the flowers on her doorstep.

Then I left.

I had kept my phone glued to my side since then, waiting for Ariel’s call. But it hasn’t come yet.

I sit on the couch in my apartment, my phone resting on the coffee table in front of me. I’ve been staring at the screen for the past fifteen minutes, and I’m pretty sure I’ve only blinked like four times.

I’m about to give up and go get something to eat when the doorbell rings. I wonder who it could be as I get up to go answer it. Did I order a pizza? No I don’t think so…

I continue to think of who it might be as I open the door. I notice that person is standing there stiffly, like they’re planning on leaving very quickly. I get my answer as to why they stand like that when I come face to face with an annoyed-looking Ariel.

“Oh, um hi.” I say, unprepared to see her. She shoves the flowers I gave her earlier at me. “I told you I didn’t want your flowers.” She says. “I told you to take them anyways.” I say, smirking. She frowns and tightens her grip on the vase. “I don’t want them.” She says. I sigh, giving up because I know she won’t crack, and take the flowers from her.

“Thank you.” She says, turning on her heel and starting to walk away. “Wait.” I say, reaching out and grabbing her wrist before I can stop myself. She freezes in her tracks and spins around. Her face has softened at my touch, and she doesn’t try to pull away.

“I don’t know…” she drifts off, staring at the ground. “Come on.” I say, hoping she’ll say yes. She doesn’t reply, she only pulls her hand away and steps into the apartment. I smile in victory and close the door behind her.

Setting the flowers on the side table, I notice Ariel is walking around the main area of the apartment, looking around. I watch her, marveling at how beautiful she is and wondering how she could have gotten any prettier since high school.

She wanders over to the mantle above the fireplace and picks up a picture. I strain to see which one she’s looking at, and smile a little when I see what it is. It’s a picture of me giving her a piggy back ride on the beach the summer after we graduated.

It was a few weeks after graduation and a large group of our friends had gone to the beach. Someone took a picture of it and gave it to me, and I’ve framed it and had it out ever since. I love the picture, mainly because Ariel looks so happy. And when she’s happy, I’m happy.

I try to get a look at her face now, and my smile disappears when I don’t see that same sparkle she used to have in her eyes.

“You still have this?” she asks, jarring me out of my thoughts. She holds the picture so I can see it better now. “Yeah, I always have it out.” I say, shoving my hands in my pockets. She gently places the picture back on the mantle and turns to look at the other pictures.

“Why?” she asks quietly after a moment. “I like it. Do you want something to drink?” I ask. “Waters fine, thanks.” She says, looking at another picture now. It’s one of me and my family right after we graduated. She took it.

I make my way to the kitchen and take out two identical glasses, filling them both up halfway with cool water from the tap. Then I pour a small dish of peanuts and bring it back out to Ariel. She’s taken a seat on the couch, sitting up straight with her hands folded in her lap. She looks a little tense.

I set the peanuts on the table and hand Ariel her glass of water. “Thank you.” She says quietly, putting the edge of the glass to her lips. She takes a small sip and then sets the glass on the coffee table in front of her. I sit down in the chair that’s off to the side and lean forward, resting my forearms on my thighs, my hands folded in front of me.

“So why did you come over?” I ask. “I wanted to give you those flowers back.” She says quietly, obviously uncomfortable. “I’m sorry if I’m making you feel uncomfortable.” I blurt out quickly. She looks over at me. “You don’t have to stay.” I add, staring at my hands. I expect her to jump up and make her way to the door, but she doesn’t. In fact, she doesn’t move.

“No, its OK.” She says, still looking at me. I look up at her and we make eye contact. Her blue eyes are fixed on mine, and I feel the corners of my mouth twitch up in a small smile. “What are you smiling at?” she asks, smiling a bit herself. It’s the first time in ages that she’s smiled at me.

“Staring contest.” I say. “Go.”

She doesn’t break eye contact. In fact, her whole face goes straight and she doesn’t blink. She didn’t even question it. She just went with it.

We used to have staring contests all the time when we were together. Ariel always beat me.

I notice, as my focus on her vibrant blue eyes falters, that the small smile on her face is disappearing quickly. A sad smile replaces it and then I see her eyes being to water. I am immediately more concerned about what’s wrong than anything else.

She breaks eye contact by snapping her head down to look at her lap. She swiftly wipes the tears from her eyes and takes a sip of her water. “Ariel, what’s wrong?” I ask, shifting from the chair to the couch. She keeps her hands over her eyes, covering her face so I can’t see it.

“Nothing, my eyes…they just got watery from not blinking. That’s all.” she says. She wipes her eyes one last time before looking at the wall opposite the couch where we sit. “Ariel…” I start, knowing that’s not the reason she was crying, although I’m not sure of the exact reason why. “I should go.” she says abruptly as my hand gently grazes her shoulder.

She grabs her purse that she had laid on the coffee table and makes her way to the door. She places her hand on the doorknob and stares down at her feet, pausing before opening the door. I’m glued to my spot, still trying to absorb what just happened when I hear her whisper, almost inaudibly, “I’m sorry.” Then she opens the door, walks out, and shuts it behind her.

She was right here, right in front of me, willing to talk to me, and then I somehow messed it up. Like I seem to mess everything up these days. I debate on whether or not to go after her, to chase her down and try to get her to tell me what happened. Why she started crying…Was it something I did? Was it something I said? I decide to let her be, thinking maybe she needed time to calm down. Maybe she’d call me later.

Or maybe she’d just forget about me completely. She got away clean this time, I guess. There’s no reason for me to go after her.

Except for the fact that I’ve set a goal for myself. Something I want…no, something I need to happen:

 I need to make Ariel fall in love with me again.