2.1

Ariel's POV

"Zoey! Are you done yet? We're gonna be late!" I call out to my best friend since the first grade, who's been in the bathroom for at least forty minutes, straightening her hair. "One sec!" she replies, her voice muffled by the closed door to the only bathroom in our two bedroom apartment.

Zoey and I moved in with each other after college. After a year and a half of rigorous chemo therapy and several surgeries, Zoey was back on her feet. She goes back to the doctor once a month for a checkup to make sure the cancer doesn't return.

During my first year of college, I got an internship at a journalism company and worked my way up from there, working on my writing skills and starting my first book, which was still in the works even after three years. Zoey was still working on completing her last two years of college classes online, and had also gotten an internship, but at a photography business.  

A minute later, the bathroom door swings open and Zoey comes half - walking half - running out, one heel on, one in her hand. "Sorry, Ariel, I was straightening as fast as I could." she says, balancing on one foot as she pulls on her second heel. She stands up straight and grabs her clutch off the side table next to the door.

"Ready to go." she says smiling. She follows me out the door and down the stairs to my car that's parked outside of the building. I climb into the car and back out of the driveway of the apartment complex. After a few minutes of silence, Zoey speaks up. "Are you OK? You've been tense all afternoon." she says. I tighten my grip on the steering wheel, my knuckles turning pale. "Yeah, I'm fine." I say, swallowing hard.

"Are you nervous?" she asks. "Psh, what would I have to be nervous about?" I ask, forcing out a laugh. Damn, that sounded too fake. "Ariel, come on. You're not nervous about...you know...seeing him?" she asks. I suck in my breath, and my grip on the wheel becomes tighter. My palms start to sweat just thinking about him. "So you are." she says, turning in her seat.

"Zoey, its been almost five years." I say to her, turning the corner onto another street. We're close to our destination. "So? He broke your heart Ariel. You trusted him and-" she starts, but I cut her off. "Zoey." I say harshly. "I'm sorry." she says quietly. I focus on the road ahead of me, not wanting to talk about him or our breakup or anything that happened between us.

Five short minutes later, I'm parked in a spot 30 places down in Oceanside High's parking lot. I can't breathe. I don't want to see my classmates again. I don't want to see the familiar gymnasium where our prom was held. And I definitely don't want to see him. "Come on, Ariel. You don't want to be late to our five year reunion, do you?" Zoey asks, leaning forward back into the car. I hadn't even realized she'd gotten out. I shake my head and twist my fingers around the car door handle.

I take a deep breath before pulling it and pushing the door open. I step out of the car and shut the door behind me, the skirt of my champagne colored dress nearly getting caught inside. I thought wearing my bright turquoise heels might make a bold statement about the person I am now, but I was currently questioning them.

"Ariel, are you ready?" Zoey asks from the other side of the car. "Yup." I say slowly, nodding while rounding the car. I join Zoey at her side and we make our way to the gym entrance, following others. I try to get a look at their faces to see if I recognize anyone. And then I see Alyssa Green. Five years sure does make a difference.

Her arm is linked with a mans who looks to be two or three years older than her. He leads her up the stairs as she holds onto the railing. She walks slowly, her weight unevenly distributed because of the large baby bump that's protruding from where her small waist used to be. She looks like her water could break at any moment. Two young boys follow behind them, arguing and slapping each other. "Boys, behave." the man, who I'm assuming is their father and Alyssa's husband, says. They stop for the few moments their father looks at them, and then continue on when he turns his back.

Alyssa wears a large white knit sweater over a blue maternity dress that reaches her swollen ankles. Two kids and one on the way, all in five years. I wondered for a moment if she went to college, and if she did for how long.

Zoey and I follow them inside and tell a girl who was in my Math class, Braiden Alcott I think, our names and she gives us both name tags. I scribble out my name in blue ink and stick it on my dress. Then I turn and face the gym and walk in with Zoey, as ready as I'd ever be to face my graduating class.

~-~-~-~-~

The gym was packed, full of my old classmates and their spouses. I caught up with Aubree, who just got engaged to her boyfriend of three years. They apparently met in college and have been together ever since. She looks very happy with him, and he appears to treat her well.

After an hour and a half of standing around catching up with people and learning about their new lives, I walk over to a table of refreshments and snacks. A man I didn't recognize poured me a cup of water and handed it to me. I smiled a thank you and took the cup, sipping it slowly and turning to face the gym.

That's when I see him.

He leans against the doorway to the gym, eyes glued to the floor. The top button to his white button up shirt is undone and his suit jacket is left open. His hands are shoved in his pockets and his legs are crossed one over the other. His hair hangs in his eyes slightly. It's a little longer than the last time I saw him. His eyes...the eyes that used to be a bright and vibrant green are now filled with sadness and regret and guilt.

It makes my heart hurt.

But then I remember.

And I force myself to turn away.

~-~-~-~-~-~

"Zoey I need to get some air." I say to Zoey.

She stops talking to the guy and his wife she was speaking with and turns to me. I can hear the anxiety in my voice as I speak the words. "Do you want me to come with you?" she asks, placing a hand lightly on my shoulder. "No, thanks though." I say, wriggling out from underneath her gentle touch. I make a beeline for the door, shielding my face from Luke, who is still standing there.

As I fast walk out of the gym, I pray to myself that Luke didn't spot me.

Once outside, I fold my arms over my chest and stand against one of the brick pillars that holds the over hang above the entrance to the gym. I take in deep breaths of the night air, and begin to feel relaxed as it fills my lungs. Everything is OK, Ariel. Just relax.

Seeing him here not only made my heart beat a mile a minute, but it also made me feel like I was being stuffed into a small box. I wasn't afraid of him or anything, he just brought back memories of something I was glad to forget.

"Ariel?"

My body tenses up at the sound of my name rolling off of his tongue. I feel my hands clench into fists and force myself to turn around. "Ariel, it is you."

I look up from the ground, but I don't make eye contact. Instead I focus on the loose thread from his white shirt that clings against his dark gray suit jacket. I nod my head instead of answering. "How have you been?" he asks.

My eyes float up to his, and I practically squint at him.

"How have I been? How do you think I've been Luke? Please tell me, I'm very interested." I say sarcastically. He says nothing in return. He just stands there, his eyes wide, most likely surprised that I snapped at him.

"That's what I thought." I add sharply, and I storm off behind him, back into the gym to find Zoey.