2.14

Chapter 14

Ariel's POV

After my date with Ian, things began to calm down. I wasn't seeing Luke, Ian and I were getting more involved, and most importantly, I was starting to feel happy again. Zoey and I started hanging out more, I continued going to my fittings with Piper and her friends, and Cam even invited me to come to his next ultrasound with Piper.

Of course I happily agreed.

On the morning of the ultrasound, I showered and dressed casually before calling Cam again. "Are you sure you and Piper want me to be there? Isn't it like a special thing for you two?" I ask.

"Ariel, for the fifth time, mom and dad have come and both of Piper's parents have come. You're the only one who hasn't seen a picture of the baby yet." he says, sounding exasperated. I sighed and told him okay before hanging up and going to my car. Truthfully, I was excited to see the baby. I wanted to see Cam and Piper's happiness when they heard the heartbeat of their child.

That wasn't what I was doubting. That wasn't what I was afraid of.

When I arrive at the hospital, I park in the visitor's parking lot and go to the front desk where Cam said he'd meet me. The kind secretary behind the desk must ask me five times if I need help, and each time she sounds sweeter and sweeter. She even offers me something to drink, but I quietly decline.

Finally, Cam and Piper come through the front doors and smile when they see me. Cam has his arm wrapped around Pipers back and waist, and Piper's hands are resting loosely on her stomach which hasn't grown a lot since the last time I saw her. She wraps me up in a tight hug, and I feel her stomach press against mine. Then Cam hugs me after, and whispers something in my ear that I don't quite catch.

I raise an eyebrow at him and he smiles. Obviously he thinks I heard him, but I'll have to talk to him later about it. Cam and Piper check in while I awkwardly stand to the side and wait to follow them to the room. When we get there, it's nicely decorated, with light purple walls and light wooden floors. The chair in the middle of the room is cushioned and leaned back, and the doctor leads Piper over to it. She relaxes back and Cam takes a seat next to her in the chair. He turns around and waves me towards them.

"Come over here. Why are you standing in the corner?" he asks. I smile and shake my head, pretending to brush everything off. I walk over to them and sit on the other side of Piper. She grabs my hand and nods knowingly, and I feel the knot in my stomach dissipate. "Thanks for coming. It means a lot to have the godmother of the baby here." she smiles and my eyes widen. "Wait, what?" I ask.

Piper looks over at Cameron and raises an eyebrow. "You didn't tell her?" she asks. "Oops," Cameron says and smiles at me. "We're asking you to be the godmother of our baby." Cam says and Piper smiles at me. "I'd be honored." I say, feeling a wide smile spread across my face as the doctor walks in.

"Good morning, how are you doing?" she asks. She's wearing pediatric scrubs, the ones with the little teddy bears all over them. Maybe it's supposed to make the patients feel calmer, but those button eyes are kind of freaking me out. I turn my attention away from the doctor and look at Piper. She's watching the woman in front of her speak, her eyes glistening. I don't think it's from tears, but perhaps excitement. She's going to get to see her baby again. She's going to get to hear the heartbeat. That must be so magical.