2.17

Ariel's POV 

 Except I don't say that.

 "Because I still care about you, Luke. I'll always care about you." I say, and step forward to order my sandwich. God I need to get out of here. Being in this hospital is making me to sentimental. I can't be saying stuff like that. I can't be thinking that I still love Luke. I don't love him anymore.

 Not that like anyways. 

 Loved. Past tense. His words echo in my mind, an exact replica of what I was thinking in the grocery store before he said it out loud. 

 The two of us go back to the elevator and ride back up to the room in silence. When we get there, the hallway is filled with doctors. "Oh, God." I hear Luke whisper and he takes off down the hall. I run after him, trying to slow him down. "Luke!" 

 When I catch up to him, he's stopped in front of the room panting, one hand pressed against the doorway, a giant smile on his face. When I look over his shoulder into the room, Mrs. Mason is awake, smiling at her husband. She's awake. 

 She's awake. 

 ________________ 

 After spending a few hours with his mom, talking to her and catching her up on her condition, Luke, Zoey, and I leave the hospital to go get some dinner. Luke's dad is going home to shower, but he's returning to the hospital afterwards, so it's just me, Luke, and Zoey. "How about we order Chinese food?" I offer. 

 Luke calls in our order while Zoey and I sit on the couch in the living room. "How are you doing?" she asks me. "I'm fine. Why?" I squeeze the couch cushion and sit farther back. Zoey raises her eyebrows at me. She's always been too good at reading me. "Nostalgia. That's all." I tell her and she nods in understanding. 

 I don't know what I'm feeling at all and it's driving me insane. A few weeks ago, I knew I wanted nothing to do with Luke. But now that he's not available? That makes me sound like a shitty person. I don't feel attraction to him just because he has a girlfriend now. I feel attraction because I'm sure it's been there the whole time. 

 You can't let that affect anything. You have Ian. You're happy. Let yourself be happy. 

 When the food arrives, the three of us sit in a circle on the floor of the living room, playing a very outdated version of Clue. "I think it was Colonel Mustard in the Hall with the Candlestick." Zoey says, moving her piece to the Hall. Luke leans to her and shows her a card. I sit patiently waiting and eating my pork fried rice. 

 "Your turn." Zoey says to me, and I look over my sheet of paper. "I think it was Mrs. White in -." and then I'm hit in the arm with a piece of cold food. I look up at Luke first. 

 "Um, what the hell was that?" I ask. 

 "Broccoli." he answers nonchalantly. 

 "Why?" I laugh and he shrugs. I pick up a piece of chicken and chuck it right at his face, hitting him between the eyes. "I've been hit!" he yells and collapses back onto the floor, his arms splayed out on either side of him. 

 "Can you two stop being so immature? I know who the killer is!!" Zoey gets impatient and fidgets in her seat. Luke lifts his head up off the floor and throws another piece of broccoli at Zoey, and it gets stuck in her hair. "Okay, that's it. You're finished." she threatens, and grabs a handful of rice.

 She throws it at Luke and it goes all over his shirt. I put my hand over my mouth to keep from laughing, but it doesn't work. "Don't start laughing, Lewis. You're next!" he shouts, and then the three of us proceed to participate in a full blown food fight.