ROUND 8: A SHIRT, AN ALMOST, AND AN APOLOGY

Luke's counter was cold as Nellie rested her feet on it

Luke's counter was cold as Nellie rested her feet on it. Nellie had been there since the night before and continued to stay far after Luke had left his apartment. When he left, she called someone to come open her door for her, the person telling her they wouldn't be able to come over for another few hours; so Nellie was stuck. There hadn't been much for the girl to do all day, most of which she ended up spending on television. When Luke actually returned home from the gym, Nellie was sat on his counter with a bowl of cereal balanced in her lap.

Luke gave her a look for this, the girl smiling slightly at him as he closed the door behind him. Nellie put the bowl down next to her as he dropped his bag on the ground. She was truthfully happy to see him, the quiet of his apartment had been killing her slower than life itself was.

"Pretty boy, I hate to be the barer of bad news but your apartment is really boring." She said, making the boy roll his eyes as he stepped into his bedroom. Luke didn't care what Nellie thought of his apartment; it wasn't hers to be at anyways.

"Nellie, why are you still here?" He asked from his bedroom, the girl making her way in as he said it. Nellie shrugged as she climbed onto his bed, the girl beginning to jump on it as Luke changed his shirt. He glared at her, which only made Nellie laugh softly.

"My friend with my key couldn't make it until 4:30," she said. Luke looked up at her as she said this, reaching out for her wrist to get her to stop jumping. Nellie smiled at him when he did this, the girl sitting on his bed as he checked his phone for the time. It read 4:23.

"Well, they'll be here in seven minutes then. Maybe you should get your things." Luke mumbled. Nellie gave him a look for this response, the boy looking at her confused before she moved her hair off her shoulders and patted the spot next to her. Luke only looked at her hand when she did this, forcing Nellie to roll her eyes and grab his hand gently. She pulled him next to her, the boy giving her an angry look when she did this.

"Seven minutes is a lot of time, babe. Tell me about your day." Nellie said. Luke only gave her a blank look for a moment. No one had asked him about his day in a while and when he started to think about it harder, he didn't want to talk about his day with anyone but the girl on his wall. Nellie continued to look at Luke as he glared at the ground for a moment, the girl sitting up straighter for a moment before she spoke. "Okay," she said. "I'll start. Today I watched television because, like I said, your apartment is boring. I also ate some of your cereal." She said, smiling slightly when Luke gave her a look and stood up from his bed. "Luke—"

"Nothing happened. It was just a day." Luke mumbled, closing his bathroom door behind him. Nellie sighed as he did this, the girl standing up from his bed before she went and got her things like he had suggested. Nellie slid her leggings up her scabbed knee caps, the girl still keeping on Luke's shirt as he stepped out of his room. Nellie stepped past him as she walked up to his door, the boy holding back his groan and he ran his hands over his face. He knew Nellie had good intentions yet he kept shooting her down.