An Unexpected Change {Part Four}

"Do you think you'll be feeling better by tomorrow?" Liam asked. Niall nervously adjusted his beanie and winced slightly at the soreness to his head. He fidgeted anxiously with his homework which sat in his lap.

"Ummm... Liam. Can I asked you a question?" Liam nodded, curious as to what Niall needed. "What's that thing you did research about? It was a cat and human hybrid," Niall his best not to stutter as he shook slightly.

    "Um, are you talking about a Neko? That thing?" Liam asked, he didn't understand why Niall was bringing this up. It didn't have anything to do with their previous conversation. Niall's face lit up as he heard the name.

"Yeah!" Niall nodded vigorously, setting his homework on the nightstand beside him. "I... need help." Niall dropped his voice so it was just above a whisper. Liam's eyebrows furrowed slightly.

    Niall pulled his beanie off and flicked his ears a bit, to adjust them to the new exposure. Liam was visibly shaken up by the news.

"Whaaaaa...." Liam's soft brown eyes widened to bigger than Niall had ever seen. "Ho-how is that p-possible?" Liam reached out to touch the ears. His hand was shaking slightly as he rubbed the surprisingly soft ear.

    Instead of replying to the question, Niall fought the urge to purr. Losing the battle with his cat-self, Niall started purring.

"OH MY GOSH. That is the most adorable thing you've ever done!" Liam giggled. Niall blushed slightly, embarrassed by his unusual noise. Liam wasn't exactly sure what to think about this. This meant that Niall also had a tail, and from Liam's previous research this also meant that Niall could be more like a cat or more like a person.

    "So... you have a tail, right?" Liam asked. He glanced at his phone, making sure it wasn't close to the time that he needed to walk home. He didn't have too long of a walk, but he needed to leave at least twenty minutes before the time he needed to be home. That gave him five minutes spare. And if he was early, it might make his mother proud. She loved a punctual person.

    "Yeah.... it's really soft," Niall stated bashfully. He wiggled uncomfortably, trying to lay down. He still felt mildly ill despite his sore throat and fever being gone. Liam had brought him his homework, which he was grateful for but he just wanted to sleep. "Please don't tell Harry. I didn't exactly wanna tell you. But..." Niall trailed off realizing that his words might have hurt Liam.

    He soon realized that his actions probably were going to hurt Harry as well. Which he had absolutely zero intentions of doing so. He closed his eyes involuntarily and flicked his ears to various sounds in his room. He could hear the small hum of the heater which had been running all day at Niall request. He could hear Liam's small breaths, which seemed uneven and messy.

    "I see ya whenever, Ni. Missed you at school," Liam hugged Niall quickly. The brunette had found it hard to take in the information that his best friend was now a neko. It wasn't the everyday set of news that someone might hear. Like, oh... yeh, I'm a cat now! Liam slowly walked out of Niall's room, closing his door slightly and walking down the stairs.

    He was greeted by Louis, who was, by the looks of it, cleaning up.

"Oh, Liam, sweetheart! Are you leaving?" Louis paused his cleaning session. Adjusting the sleeves of his jacket and nervously nodding. He was flustered by the news and how badly he wanted to ask Louis what would happen to Niall.

"Yes, sir." Liam opened the front door and snuck out, his sneakers squeaking on the wet concrete. It had rained a little bit while Liam was inside, which wasn't uncommon for England, where they lived. But he just couldn't stop thinking about Niall. Should he be more worried than he was?

    "Liam? You're early!" His mother called, setting down the plates in her hand and watching Liam's slowly close the door.

"Hi mum," he stated quickly. He jogged up the stairs, ready to do some research on his friend. He didn't mean to be a bit rude when he entered but he was flustered and confused. How had this happened? And most importantly, was Niall okay?

    "Liam James? What kind of greeting was that? Haven't you any manners?" His mother asked. She was taken aback by the way he greeted her. It wasn't like Liam to not give her a hug or something.

"Sorry, mum. I'm... I have lots of homework," Liam lied. He hated lying to his parents but he couldn't just flat out tell her that he now has a cat for a friend.

    "You're shaking, what's going on?" Of course his mum wouldn't word it like she cared. Of course she wouldn't ask if he's okay, if somethings wrong. But instead she felt the need to ask Liam if maybe he'd done something wrong.

"No, mum. I'm just feeling unwell right now." Again, Liam hated lying. Yet he felt that if he came out saying that Niall was a cat, they'd take him to a mental hospital and ground him.

    "Alright, feel better, love. Make sure you do your chores." Liam sighed when his mother shut the door. He hadn't even noticed he was shaking the way he was.

"Oh my goodness..." he mumbled to himself. He wasn't sure what to think of this. Or how to think about it. He'd just need to look this up to understand it a bit more.

    Meanwhile, Niall was at home, worrying slightly about how he was supposed to go to school.

"Niall dear, I'm gonna help you pack, sweety," Louis opened up Niall's closet and pulled out the suitcase Niall had taken to summer camp once.

"Where are we going?" He asked. He loved traveling so he always jumped at the chance. Louis started sifting through Niall's many outfits, pulling out the ones he found that worked.

"LA. There's a doctor there that will help you," Louis set the suitcase down and pulled out his phone. It was vibrating.

    "Hi, babe!" Louis smiled a wide smile. "Yeah, he's doing okay. I'm packing his suitcase now." Louis paused for a moment. "We have no choice, Zaynie... I don't want him to suffer." Niall listened absent mindedly to the mumbles. Finally, Louis hung up with an 'I love you'.

"Papa, does this mean no school this week?" Niall pouted.

    "Yes. This most definitely means no school for this week."

~~~~~
Almost 100% certain my body doesn't want me to eat. Yep. Thanks body... So, the whole month of October will be dedicated to creepy stories. Hope you all are having a GREAT day. For those of you that don't look at my messages, MY HOMECOMING DRESS CAME!!!!!! YEEEEEEEE!!!

The socks really complete the look. 😂

xD Go Read a Book.

Bye my potatoes!