Chapter 20 - I Can't Live Without You

Start from the beginning

"Yes we went to a function on Saturday. Oh thank God you found her", I said excitedly.

"Of course ma'am it's my job", He said.

Then I told him goodbye and hang up.

"We have to go to the hospital right now. They found Ayla. I'll explain on the way. Let's go", I said grabbing my jacket and heading out the door.

On our way to the hospital I told them what the officer said and they were happy she was found. When we got to the hospital a nurse came up to me.

"Ms Hayles, is the girl you daughter?" She asked curiously.

"Yes she is. Where is she? Is she okay?" I asked impatiently.

"What's her name?" she asked ignoring my questions.

"Ayla Holmes. Where is my daughter?" I asked anxiously. Then a doctor came.

"Ms Hayles, i'm doctor Marshall, your daughters doctor. She's in critical state", he said sadly.

"What do you mean critical? What's wrong with her?" I demanded.

"She's unconscious", He said.

"What? But how?" I asked sadly tears flowing down my cheeks. My father held me from falling.

"She came in two days ago busted up. A lady said she found her on the street. She realize that Ayla wasn't dead she just had a weak pulse. She would've died if she was out there longer. She seem to have gotten beaten up around six hours before the lady found her. She has three broken ribs, a sprained wrist and a concussion. Her face and body has alot of cuts, bruises and swelling but she won't be physically scared. They will disappear once she's fully healed", the doctor said.

I was crying too hard to reply so Emma spoke up.

"How long will she be in coma?" She asked.

"It can be days or weeks, it all depends on how her body reacts to the medications and how she heals. You guys can help her out of it by talking to her", Doctor Marshall answered.

"May I see her please?" I asked finally gaining some strength.

"Yes of course. But only one at a time. Nurse Bails will show you to her room", He said smiling.

"Thank you doctor" I said then nurse Bails led us to the room where she's in.

I went in first and when I saw her my heart ache for her. She look so pale. All kinds of machines were connected to her and she was breathing through a tube. Her face was swollen and she had a busted lip and her head was wrapped.

I went and sat by her bed, then took her hands in mine and cried for a few minutes.

"Ayla...sweetie i'm so sorry. This is all my fault. I should've checked up on you. I shouldn't have let you go off alone. Please forgive me. You must think i'm a terrible mother. You have every right to think that. I'm really sorry. Please wake up so I can prove to you how sorry I am. I can't live without you Ayla. You're everything to me. You are my whole world. You make me happy and I can't live without my happiness. I miss you so much. I miss the way you smile. The way you laugh. And your drawings. Please Ayla wake up for me", I said through tears.

I cried for a while longer then I realized that I have to tell Becca about this. She must be so worried. So I left the room allowing the others to go in. While they were taking turns I called Becca and told her everything and she said she will come right away.

After a while she came running with a middle-aged woman close behind her.

"Ms Hayles. Where is she?" She asked impatiently.

"She's in there", I said pointing to the room.

"Okay. And how are you doing?" She asked concerned.

"I don't know Becca, I feel so bad knowing this is my fault", I said sadly.

"Come on Ms Hayles it is not your fault. You couldn't have known that this would happen", she said calmly.

"But I should've watched her more closely", I said.

"Stop blaming yourself Ms Hayles. That will do you no good. Oh and this is Ms Wilson, a good friend of Ayla", she said gesturing to Ms Wilson.

"We've met before but I didn't know you were friends with Ayla", I said to Ms Wilson.

"Yes we use to live in the same apartment building", Ms Wilson answered.

"Oh, well you guys can go and meet her", I said.

Becca went in first and came out crying so I hugged her. Then Ms Wilson went in.

"She will be okay", I assured her. But truth is I was convincing myself.

Emma left because she had to go home and Ms Wilson also left. Only my parents, Becca and I remain at the hospital until my mother convince Becca to go home and she reluctantly left.

"Darling, you should go home and get some rest", Mom told me.

"No i'm not going anywhere. I'll stay here until she wakes up. You guys can go home", I said.

"But you don't know when she'll wake up", Dad said.

"And I don't care Dad. I'm staying here, okay?" I said.

"Okay then. I'll just bring you some change of clothes", My mom said.

"Okay thanks", I replied.

I stayed in the hospital for another three days before she finally woke up. And nobody was as happy as I was when she did.

Question: Do you think Ms Hayles is a bad mother?

xoxo