Chapter 31 - Roxy

Start from the beginning

"Is Finn going?"

"Yes."

"One moment please. No. Not right now. I'm talking to my daughter." She sounded distant. Like she put the phone away from her face.

"Mom?"

"Sorry, hon. A meeting is starting soon."

"So may I go?"

"Yeah, sure. Just call back and tell me how much money you need. If I don't answer, just tell my assistant."

"Ok?"

"Listen, I have to go now."

"Alright."

"Bye, honey." She hung up before I could say my farewell.

I laid back on my bed and sighed.

Honestly, I loved my parents, but sometimes they were too much.

I grabbed my phone again and pressed another contact.

I let the phone ring. It took a while, ringing. I thought it was going to go to voicemail.

"Hey," I heard from the other line.

"Hey. Come over. Let's hang," I said.

"Everything alright?"

"Yeah."

There was a pause on the other line.

"We can watch a movie. I have a freezer full of ice cream, and I'll order a pizza."

I heard him chuckle. "Alright. On my way. See you in a few."

"Alright." We both hung up.

I got up from bed and walked downstairs, ordering a pizza on my phone.

He arrived shortly after, right after the pizza had arrived.

"Hey," I said, when I opened the door.

"Hey," he said, stepping through the door.

We sat down and ended up watching a random movie, as we ate the pizza. I didn't care too much about watching the movie. I just cared about the company. We had ice cream topped with toppings afterwards.

"So why'd you call just me and not the guys?"

I shrugged my shoulders.

"Roxy?" he asked.

"Because my parents suck," I said, after eating a spoonful of ice cream.

"Ditto," he said, looking down into his bowl of ice cream before eating some.

"You know, I do love them, and I'm thankful for everything they do for me, but that's not enough."

He nodded his head, avoiding eye contact.

"You know, my mom got an assistant. I didn't even know. I called her to ask her if I could go on the trip for spring break and her assistant answered."

"Did she let you go?" His eyes finally met mine.

"Yeah, but the way she did it. She barely asked any questions. She just told me to tell her how much I needed then hung up."

"I feel you. I called my dad. He practically said the same thing. Told me whatever it was 'yes' and just said he would deposit money into my account. Didn't even ask any questions. He was too busy with something. Couldn't even spare a minute to ask me where I was going."

I nodded my head, understanding.

"That's why I invited you and only you. You understand what I'm going through. Sure, Finn is also an only child, but his situation is different. His parents actually ask questions and live with him."