Chapter 7: Oregon

Start from the beginning

She'd liked to believe so, but as they stood outside the brightly lit restaurant, staring in through the clear outside glass, she felt the most uncomfortable feeling of anxiety. Sitting just crosswise from their view in a booth, was Farkle and Zay, both laughing about something with a guy sitting across from them, to which she guessed was most likely Lucas.

It didn't help seeing just how crowded the place was, with waiters and waitresses all over the place, trying not to bump into sitting customers. That's when her eyes locked with Farkle's, and Riley swore she was only centimeters away from having a heart attack at that moment.

''I can't do this, Maya'' She pleaded, grabbing Maya's arm. ''Please, don't make me go in!''

''Riley, it's going to be okay. Just grab my hand-''

''No, please, I really can't'' Riley could hear her own heavy breathing, only fueling to her nervousness. ''Maya, there's too many people and I can't handle it and my heart keeps racing a lot-''

''Take deep breaths, pumpkin, deep breaths'' Riley did as told, watching as Maya did the same along with her. ''Don't pay attention to anyone else except for me and the guys. I promise we'll be out of here as fast as we can. Okay?''

She didn't say anything at first, but finally she nodded her head in defeat. Maya grabbed ahold of her hand, and with her gaze down, the two made their way inside of the restaurant and towards the booth. Farkle was the first to stand, and if she were honest, he was the only one Riley could really focus on. Zay and Lucas followed, their faces twisted into some type of emotion she couldn't recognize.

''Mind if we sit here?'' asked Maya, fearlessly.

They all nodded, and Lucas moved over to the other side so that they could make their way in. Riley instantly felt Maya's hand squeezing her once they took a seat, to which she squeezed back.

''So,'' Zay started, his lips pulled half way up and his eyes roaming around the place. ''Long time, no see''

''You can say that'' Maya replied, instantly.

Lucas cleared his throat, his built arm coming into view when he scratched the back of his neck, awkwardly. ''Are you guys ready to order? We haven't gotten anything yet, we thought it'd be rude''

Riley had to hold back a snort, as she grabbed ahold of a menu and opened it. Glaring through it for a few seconds, she looked up, finding Maya to do the same. ''Ready when you are''

Zay was able to bring a waitress over to their table within seconds, and after each of them ordered what they wanted, the waitress left and once again the table was filled with a bitter atmosphere. Riley wanted to say something, she wanted to tell them what she'd held in for the longest, but she just couldn't seem to conjure up her voice.

She didn't know why, and sitting right in front of Farkle, wasn't helping much either.

''So how are you?'' Farkle asked, his lips slightly tilted up.

Maya grinned, almost too friendly for Riley's comfort. ''Great. Riles and I just got out of work, so we're pretty exhausted''

''I bet'' Zay whistled. ''I was waiter back in Texas, the summer after senior year. Man did my feet hurt after just one day''

''It gets better as time passes,'' Riley heard herself mumble, to which she could sense the surprise coming from everyone else. ''You tend to numb the pain''

''Yeah, you guys are incredible'' Lucas chirped in, sounding somewhat more confident than before. ''I don't think we could handle working the hours you two do''

''are you kissing arse, Friar?'' Maya asked, raising an eyebrow.

He laughed, something they hadn't heard in a long while. ''Arse? What are you, British?''