March 3rd, 1998

Michael poked his head in his mother’s room, finding her working on clearing it out to make room for her own things.

“How’s it going?” He asked, jovially.

Katherine grinned widely. “It’s okay baby. I see you still got these blankets from when you were a little boy thrown all over this closet.”

Michael giggled. “Mother, that’s for my girls.”

“I get that but there’s only two of them, baby. Do you need every blanket you’ve ever owned?”

Michael nodded his head eagerly. “Well they’re all special to me. Each one means something different--it’s of a different time.”

“Michael, I get it. But you need to stop holding onto everything. I know you love your things very much but you’re gonna have a big mess in this house if you don’t throw anything out.” Katherine explained.

“But Mo-” Michael started.

“But nothing, Michael. I’ve seen people who keep they stuff and let it build up and then one day they can’t even step inside their own homes anymore. You used to do this as a boy and I thought it was a phase but now I see that you just hoard-”

“I don’t hoard things, Mother. I’m not like those people who keep all that stuff in they house.” He explained.

“Michael, I went to Neverland the other day to pick up some things and your bathroom was a mess baby.”

“You went in my room?” Michael asked.

“Yes and you had stuff all over the bathroom sink. Papers everywhere. Paper shouldn’t be in the bathroom Michael.” Katherine chided.

“Mom, I know. I’ll make sure it gets cleaned up.”

“Good. You know that stuff can get to nasty levels and my baby ain’t nasty.” Katherine joked.

Michael gave a nervous laugh.

She’s gonna be a piece of work.

March 3rd, 1998

Michael went outside and walked the short distance to his mailbox. One thing he loved about living in Aspen was the fact that he could be relatively normal. Back in California he would've never been able to go out and get his own mail.

As he walked back into the house he flipped through the envelopes.

Bill.

Bill.

Bill.

Pat?

He paused on a letter addressed to Pat from a Mr. Richard Hathaway.

What's this for?

Michael sat down the bills and looked at the envelop with Pat’s name on it. He looked around the room before going for his letter opener. He found it in a drawer and carefully peeled open the letter.

Once it was open he slipped out a folded piece of paper. He unfolded it and a check dropped out.

The letter read:

Dear Patricia,

Here's your fifth installment from the money made on the Long Island home. It's truly been a pleasure doing business with you and I hope to continue this partnership in the future.

Sincerely,

Richard Hathaway

Michael picked up the check, which was written in the amount one million dollars.