25 // Our Luna

The room felt cold. The marble encased the air around me, and I'd be lying if I said I felt royal. I felt more like a peasant within these walls. 

There were hours upon hours of endless terminology, and moon charts, and hypothetical battle situations. I found myself nodding off repeatedly, and a small prayer of relief was released from my lips when they dismissed The Council. I was left in the company of Beta Lyon, and stretched as I rose from my seat. 

"Is your brain fried yet?" He chuckled. 

"A little," I sighed. "Honestly, I could just go for a nap right now." He rested his hand on my shoulder, not allowing me to break eye contact with him. 

"Don't let this meeting scare you off, Cy."

"It's not scaring me off, Lyon." 

"I know you too well, I can tell when you're getting ready to run. It's what you do when things push you out of your comfort zone."

"And I'm the chosen one to become the next Luna?" I scoffed, running a hand through my hair. 

"Even leadership takes a little bit of practice. Go see Damien, he'll ease your mind." 

I headed down the hallway, tugging the hem of my dress towards my knees. Would he be mad that I struggled through that meeting with the Council? What if he thought I was no longer fit to be Luna? What if the Moon Goddess made a mistake? 

I rose my fist to knock on his office door, but it opened much to my surprise to see Xander leaving. 

"H-hi," I stuttered. 

"Well hello to you, Your Majesty," he grinned. I fluffed my hair, shifting my weight as I remained unsure of what to do next. "Care to join me for lunch in the gardens?" He raised an eyebrow at me. 

"I should really go see Damien and tell him how the meeting went," my gaze lowered to the floor. 

"That she should, I'll talk to you later, brother." 

My eyes darted up to meet Damien's, who was leaning against the threshold. 

"Dinner, then," Xander didn't break eye contact with Damien. 

"Just because she was given extra time to decide doesn't mean she hasn't already chosen," Damien warned. 

"It's a good thing that I have time to change her mind, then, isn't it?"

"I'll see you for dinner Xander, Damien, can I come in?" 

He let out a gruff growl which he nicely accompanied with a frown, and he opened the door as he gestured my way in. I slipped past Xander, and sat hesitantly on the couch in his office. This was a million times more awkward and stressful for me than it was for them, I hope they know that. 

"How did the meeting go?" Damien sat beside me, a glass of what I assumed to be whiskey in his hand. He looked good. He was in a tight navy fitted suit, the top two buttons of his dress shirt undone. He spread his legs, swirling the drink in his hand. 

"It was...intense." 

"What did they explain to you?" 

I scoffed, tossing my legs and resting them on his thighs. 

"Everything, nearly too much. They explained everything I could possibly learn from the moon charts, but it only got scary when it came to my connection with the Moon Goddess." 

"How does it feel, having a direct line?" he smirked. 

"They're going to show me how to use it in a ritual tonight after dinner."