She heard Roger gasp and frowned. These two men were hiding something. But what? She continued, "Is it possible I liked someone horrible? It's not like I was in love with a serial killer or anyone like that, right?"

"You were very secretive about your love life," Sebastian said softly. "Still, only a blind man wouldn't know when a woman was in love."

"Did you think I was in love?" Calista asked. "Did you?"

"Perhaps, but at the time you never confirmed it."

"I didn't?"

He shook his head. "I wouldn't have allowed it if you did."

"Why not? Was it some kind of illicit love?"

He didn't answer for a long while and Calista felt the air in the car thickening with her own discomfort.

Finally, she heard Sebastian whisper, "Yes, you could say that. It was a forbidden love."

His serious tone made her wonder if Calista Dover really had been in love with Adam. It made no sense. He was dating Yvonne. Why would he have dumped Calista Dover for Yvonne Barrette? Calista was richer and far more beautiful.

"I see," Calista said, not really seeing anything. "Forbidden love? It sounds strange to hear I was in love with anyone. Now I'm curious as to who this person was. Maybe I should find out."

He closed his eyes and sighed. "Please don't. It's best that we leave the past where it is."

"Why?"

"The truth can be dangerous. It might even destroy you. Listen to me and forget about your old love. Meet someone new and be happy."

She thought of Adam. The truth could be dangerous. What if she found out Adam had been cheating on her with Calista Dover as well? No, that was impossible. He was dating Yvonne and his reactions to her as Calista Dover hadn't been that of a lover. What was going on?

"Sebastian, are you dating anyone?" the question popped out of her mouth before she realized it.

A sad smile spread across his face. "No."

"Why not? Is it because of work? Is there no one you like?"

"Don't worry about me."

"Of course I have to worry about you. You're my brother," Calista said. She mentally warned herself to stop feeling comfortable with him. He wasn't her real brother even though she was starting to think of him as one.

"I do love someone but it won't ever work out. It's probably a passing fancy."

"Why not?"

Sebastian didn't answer and Calista leaned closer to him. "Is she married?"

She heard him sighing and giggled.

"You must also be in love with someone forbidden. We have that in common. We're definitely siblings, aren't we?"

Sebastian turned to her smiling face and lifted his hand to rest on the top of her head. Calista suddenly felt her heartbeat quicken and she sucked in her breath as he stared at her. He smiled and ruffled her hair. Calista squirmed beneath his touch and slapped his hand away. "You're messing up my hair!"

"Stop talking about forbidden loves." Sebastian laughed. "Especially around Pop Pop. You don't remember this, but once you get him started talking about his first love, he won't stop."

"First love?"

"She was from a poor family and Pop Pop's parents didn't allow the marriage. He lost the love of his life. At least that's the way he tells it."