The Kitten Has Claws [Chapter 32]

Start from the beginning

"I brush my teeth in the morning and think of you because my toothbrush is green like your eyes. I eat food and stupidly wonder if you would like this food, or if it's something you have an aversion to. When I watch television and see a woman I compare her to you and find her lacking in every way. And when I sleep it's the worst. I go to bed hoping that I will get a reprieve when I close my eyes, but you're right there, lurking behind my eyelids and consuming my dreams.

"Sometimes the dreams are erotic and sexy as hell, but my favorite dreams are when we're just sitting there talking to each other, comfortable in each other's presence." He breathed harshly, willing her to understand what he was saying. Never had he felt this way before. He didn't do commitment, didn't do relationships, but with Tamsin, hell, he was willing to try anything.

"I don't understand," she whispered weakly. Her trembling hand was covering her mouth as his powerful words sunk in. He truly cared about her and wanted to make it work out between them. But how long? How long would he last until he got bored with her too? It would never work out. "You can't just change your personality like that," she said, snapping her fingers, "It just doesn't happen."

Fletcher stood up and walked over to her, kneeling at her feet and resting his hands on her legs. "I believe it does," he said hoarsely. "I honestly swear that I've never felt this way before and it scares the shit out of me," he admitted. "You don't even know how much power you have over me, God..." he broke off with a bitter chuckle, "I would do anything for you, Tamsin. I want to make this work."

She shook her head in denial and tried to push his hands away to put as much space in between them as possible. He might want commitment now, but eventually he would revert back to his old ways, she knew it. "I can't do it Fletcher. I won't be able to hand the pain when you leave. I care too much for this to be a fling."

Growling in frustration, he placed his hands on either side of her body, caging her in, and stared straight into her jade colored eyes. "What don't you understand?" he rasped. "I'm trying to tell you that I love you," he jolted slightly when he realized that he truly did love her. He hadn't thought about it until now, but that was the only emotion to describe how he felt. Tamsin completed him, made him feel like that much more of a man. Without her he would be lost and empty. "I love you, pumpkin," he whispered, amazed.

"Wow, romantic," she said sarcastically. He laughed lightly and pressed closer to her. "Okay, okay, I get it, you love me," she said nervously, trying not to look at his lips.

His sweet breath washed over her face, assaulting her senses. She bit back a moan when he stood up to lean further over her. Her back was nearly on the bed when he stopped moving inches from her lips. Tamsin didn't want to lie back any further, but she knew Fletcher would only continue his invasion of her space.

Over and over she told herself to stay strong, to not give into him and be a weak woman ruled by her baser needs. Gods, she wanted his lips on hers, and she was dying to feel his skin pressed close to her, but she wanted to prove that she could resist him. She needed to prove that if he left her, she would still have a piece of her that she had held back.

Fletcher knew exactly what she was doing and he would have none of it. He would make sure that Tamsin let go with him, that she trusted him completely. If he needed to express his love fifty times a day he would do it. He leaned forward even more, giving a satisfied smirk when her back hit the bed and she scowled. His chest rubbed deliciously against hers and his lips were even closer now.

Tamsin's pupils dilated so that only a thin line of green was visible. Her mouth opened slightly as she took in his deep blue eyes framed by long eyelashes. Why did men always have long eyelashes? It was so unfair! She wanted him to kiss her so damn bad she was about ready to beg him for it. A voice inside her head cried in anticipation when he moved towards her, but at the last second he shifted his head to the side and lightly kissed her cheek. Groaning in frustration, she tried to move her head so that their lips connected but Fletcher was always out of reach.