The Kitten Has Claws [Chapter 14]

This book is available for purchase on amazon.com as an ebook. 

Chapter 14

Raine growled angrily, making sure everyone left the room, except for Noelle, of course, "Not so fast," he called out softly. She halted by the door and sighed dejectedly. "Come here," he murmured, sitting back down on the couch. She walked back over and looked at him expectantly. He patted his lap and frowned when she shook her head. "I just want to hold you," he said.

Noelle snorted, "Right."

"I'm serious," he sighed tiredly. Noelle looked at him carefully, taking in the stress lines on his face. His eyes were tired and lifeless and around his mouth were tight lines. She realized that he had a lot on his plate.

Holding back a sigh, she sat softly on his lap and laid her head against his chest. "What are you going to do?" she asked.

Raine kissed the top of her head, "Not sure. Keep my eyes open, I suppose." He clenched his fists angrily, "I just hate being in the dark about all of this."

"I know," she responded soothingly, rubbing soft circles on his chest. "You're going to talk to the Elders soon and then everything will make sense."

"I still wish I knew who the Vessel was now. Then I could protect them better. What if it's you, Noelle? What am I supposed to do? And even if it isn't you, I still don't have a clue about anything!"

"What would you be doing different if you knew who the Vessel was? Hmm? You have tightened security and every woman has a man protecting her. There isn't much else you could do, Raine." Noelle tried to reason with him, but she saw that she wasn't really getting through. It was mainly a pride thing with him, but partially something else.

Raine snarled low in his throat and tightened his grip around her waist, fighting the urge to throw her over his shoulder and lock her up where no one or thing could hurt her, not even herself. If the Elders didn't respond in a day he would go to them himself. He refused to wait any longer for answers.

"—can't breathe," Noelle gasped.

"Oh sorry," Raine released his grasp and gave her a sheepish look, "I got distracted by something."

Noelle gave him a speaking look, "I realize that. Do you ever have fun? I feel like all you do is work and act serious. You need to loosen up a bit."

"What do you have in mind?" he asked suggestively, grinning when she blushed at him implication.

"Not that," she muttered. "We should go out, a night on the town."

Raine's eyebrows drew together angrily, "Hell no."

Noelle jumped off his lap and pouted, giving him the puppy dog look, "Why not? It'd be fun!"

He scowled, "Because it wouldn't be safe. We'd be inviting the Hunters to attack us."

"Ugh, fine," she groaned, "I just wish you weren't so protective, all the time. Like I said, you need to relax a little."

"I have my reasons," he ground out.

Noelle took a step back when she saw the possessive look on his face. His eyes had turned a darker green and his pupils were slitted like a cat's. She gave a nervous laugh and stepped towards the door, "I'm going to go and talk to the new women."

"You can't run away," he warned.

She paused at the door, and tensed her shoulders, trying to ignore his truthful words. She didn't want to run away, but she didn't want to hear what he was going to say either.