Part 14

Author Note: So you've probably noticed the chapters have been updating pretty fast and that's because I have chapters 1-18 written already on AO3 and FF and currently working on 19, so once we get to the 18th chapter, the updates won't be posted as frequently.  Thanks for all of the comments and votes. Hope you enjoy!

It was a fairly warm day as they stepped out into the busy city, both of them carrying a backpack on their shoulders. Emma took in the sights of the large buildings towering over them and the sounds of the heavy traffic as Killian slid his hand into hers and they walked to the ferry. They started their day by taking the view of the Statute of Liberty from the ferry as it glided over the water, a light breeze picking up over the ocean. Emma captured the view with the handheld video camera they had brought with them. She had freed up her storage and fully charged her phone, prepared to take lots of photos as well.

When they got back, they explored the isle of Manhatten, visiting the different financial structures of Wallstreet while Killian gave her some little tidbits and facts about each one. He lived there before, but experiencing the city with Emma was something different. He had been broken and lost without his brother, so his days there were more about getting through each one rather than the experience itself. Though he missed his son, he enjoyed every moment there with the woman he loved.

They had lunch in China Town at Nom Way Tea Parlor, which Killian assured Emma had the best fried dumplings and egg rolls.

"So, any interesting facts about this place?" She asked as they were served small plates of dim sum.

"Aye, it was opened in 1920 and was New York's first dim sum house. During that time, Doyers Street was called the bloody angle because of the Tong gang wars that took place here in China Town."

"That's quite depressing. Any fun facts?"

"The almond cookies and moon cakes here are legendary," he added.

"Okay," she laughed before she took a bite of her egg roll.

He spewed some more facts about China Town and they ordered a few more plates of food and had the almond cookies for desert before they left. And Killian was right. The place did have the best egg rolls and fried dumplings.

They continued to the National September 11 Memorial and Museum at the World Trade Center, which Killian had bought tickets for in advance because the lines were usually extremely long. They endured the twenty minutes of security before they got in and viewed the different monumental artifacts of the museum and the Reflecting Absence, a design that contained the footprints of the Twin Towers that commemorated the dead.

Besides the stress of the transportation and finding everything, the rest of they day went by pleasantly. Emma was in awe of everything as she recorded it all on her camera. She had never really been to any place outside of Boston since she was young and she rather enjoyed their trip.

When the sun began to set, they headed to the Washington Square Park, where crowds of people gathered around the performing street musicians. After they spent some relaxation time there, Killian scouted out a nice place to have dinner and they ate before going back to the hotel room.

They were completely exhausted as they kicked off their shoes and set their bags in a chair. Killian took out a glass of wine, filling two glasses as Emma anchored herself in the couch. He handed her a drink and joined her and she lifted her feet from the floor, resting them in Killian's lap as she sipped her wine.

"Did you enjoy yourself, love?" he asked as he set his glass down on the end table next to him. He pulled off her socks and started massaging the palms of her feet.