Part 2

Just when Killian was trying to forget about about those blazing green eyes, there they were, looking at him as he approached their owner. He held his breath as he tried not to stare so obviously. He didn't know exactly why he felt this way around her. Why his heart started to pound without mercy and why he felt adrenaline rush through his blood. But after a string of dreary days, it was oddly refreshing.

His son was strapped in the shopping cart as he stopped in front of her, a smirk playing his lips as he tried not to seem so eager. "You stalking me, love?"

She rolled her eyes at him as she answered with a sarcastic smile. "Yeah, because I have nothing better to do than stalk handsome strangers in a grocery store parking lot."

His smirk only widened. "Well, we're not exactly strangers anymore, Emma, but you're right... I am devilishly handsome."

"And you're so full of yourself," she giggled as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

The sound of her laughter was something like music to his ears. It was adorable really, and he very much hoped to hear it more often.

"Thank you, by the way, for the message. My day actually did go better, which is rare, considering my job is to counsel a bunch of misfit, over-opinionated teenagers."

"Well, I'm glad." They stood quiet for a beat as he found himself searching his brain frantically for what to say next and he could tell she had to same struggle.

Finally, she broke the silent air. "Um, I should let you get going so your food doesn't spoil. And you've probably had a long day and want to get the little guy home."

"That's alright, love. I don't mind. It's not too often I get stalked by a beautiful woman in the grocery store parking lot," he teased with a playful grin.

"Somehow, I find that hard to believe."

Killian felt his cheeks burn red as he smiled coyly and looked away, trying to avoid her gaze. "Wow, love. You really know how to make a lad blush."

She screwed her eyes shut, a regretful look on her face when he looked back at her. "Sorry..." she opened them again as she continued. "It's just been a really long day and I didn't sleep much last night... or rather, I haven't slept much the last two months."

He looked at her with an understanding nod. "No need to apologize, love. I'll leave you to it so you can get home and get some rest."

"Yeah, we should get going."

"I'll see you tomorrow, then?"

"Tomorrow?" she flashed him a confused look at first before it dawned on her. "Oh, right, at the daycare. Yeah, I guess I will see you then. Bye, Killian."

"Bye, Emma."

As he pushed the cart toward his car, he replayed their conversation in his head. Could he really have been anymore of an idiot? He'd had many encounters with women every day. He was a salesman and it was his job to be charming and witty and it usually came so easy to him. But when he was around Emma, he found the easy things very difficult. He hadn't felt like this since... well since he met Milah.

After Emma got home and put Henry into his crib, she settled on the couch in her pajama shorts and tank top, drinking a glass of wine when she received a call from her brother. She gave her phone a curious glare as she picked it up to answer.

"How are you doing, sis?"

"I'm doing okay, all things considered." She knew her brother loved her dearly, but it was unlike him to call out of the blue just to ask how she was doing. "Did Mary Margaret put you up to this phone call?"