"Dan?" I asked, touching his arm hesitantly.

He blinked once before looking back at me. "It's nothing. Don't worry." He looked back though, and this time a cruel grin spread across his face. What the hell was going on?

"Hey Adira," He said, looking back at me, "Wanna try that kiss again?"

He didn't wait for me to answer. He leaned forward and crushed his lips against mine, hands on my shoulders. I tentatively wrapped my arms around his neck. Suddenly I heard the door open and with a surprised yell Dan was yanked away from me, out into the darkness. Without warning, a few seconds later he was thrown onto the bonnet of the car. I screamed. He looked up at me and grinned, without humor. He turned, quick as a flash and slammed his fist into an unseen figure. There was a loud crash a way off. He laughed cruelly.

"Dan?" I called, "Dan? What the hell is going on?"

"Just something I have to deal with. You stay here, and don't fucking move." He then jogged off, disappearing into the night.

Like hell I would.

I undid my seat belt and slid out of the car. I squinted into the dark, trying to figure out where he went, when I saw a small alley lit by a solitary streetlamp, flickering slightly. I heard a muffled thump. Bingo.

As I drew nearer, I saw a dark shape flash across the alley. I heard Dan laugh again as the figure of a person slammed against the wall and slid to the ground, landing in a heap face down. I saw him crouch next to it, much like how Isabella had when she beat me up. I suddenly felt an unexpected surge of hate towards Dan. I crept closer to try and hear what he was saying.

"...If you'd just leave us alone."

"Only if you leave her alone." I vaguely recognized the voice.

He laughed. "She's perfectly safe with me. Why, you think I'm going to hurt her?"

"No," The figure said, "I think you're going to kill her."

I had a feeling I knew who they were talking about. I suddenly felt the urge to sneeze. Shit!

I managed to sneeze quietly, but Dan's head still whipped around sharply.

"Adira!" He yelled furiously, "I told you to stay in the fucking car!"

"Yeah, well I didn't. What you gonna do?"

He took a step closer to me. The figure sat up slightly, showing its bloody face.

It was Zayden.

"Go home." He mouthed. I shook my head.

"Get out of here." Dan said quietly, barely suppressed fury in his voice.

"No. Not until you tell me why you're beating the shit out of Zayden Greene."

"Adira," He sighed, his voice turning back to normal, "It's a long story. Please, just leave. I'll be to the car in a minute." He glared back at Zayden.

"I said no." I snarled. I marched past him and crouched next to Zayden.

"You okay?" I said sharply without any caring in my voice. I just wanted this evening to be over.

He nodded sarcastically "Just peachy. Your little boyfriend's right, get your ass out of here."

I shook my head. Grabbing his arm, I dragged him up. "Get up, idiot." I snapped. He scrambled to his feet. I lead him off back to the car.

"Where are you going?" Dan called after us. I ignored him

"Hey! Adira! That's my car!" He protested as I pushed Zayden into the passenger seat and got into the driver's side.

"Do I look like I care?" I glowered at him through the window. He had left the keys in the ignition and so I started up the engine.

"What the fuck?" Dan yelled, slamming his fist into the window. "Get him out of my fucking car!"

"No. I'm going to drive home, and you'll have all night to think of a real good excuse as to why this happened this evening." I told him, reversing out of the space.

"You bitch!" He yelled. "You fucking bitch! How the fuck am I supposed to get home?!"

I was about to throw him his cell when I realised that if I did he would most likely call the police.

"I'm sure you'll think of something. Goodnight, Dan." I said before driving off.

It was quiet for a while as I drove. Zayden hadn't said anything.

"So," I said to break the silence, "Where do you want me to drop you?"

"I don't know." He murmured, half asleep. I punched his arm.

"Stop being so pathetic," I snapped. Regretting my outburst, I tried again. "Um... you can crash at mine...if you want?"

"Yes please." He said.

"Okay." I muttered.

He smiled gratefully at me. "And thanks."

"No problem. But this doesn't mean I like you."

"Oh, goodie."

I rolled my eyes. "Shut up."