Chapter 24

Hey everyone! Did you like the last bit? Ooh, dramatic! Gasp, Zayden's a vampire....bet you saw it coming though ;). Anywhoo, I hope you enjoy this chapter. But one thing I've just remembered! All of you who say some of the chapters are boring, just letting you know that I have no actual storyline or plot, I kinda know what's going to happen and make the rest up! So yeah, some of them are just filler chapters. I'm not being a hater or anything, just saying. Anyway, love you all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw Zayden hurrying up the corridor the next day. It felt as though he was a completely different person now my suspicions were confirmed. I even started noticing new things about him, like the way his posture would stiffen further every time that someone got too close. I caught up with him and grabbed his shoulder. He glanced at me and slowed down slightly.

"I have questions," I said in a low voice, "And I'd prefer them answered sooner rather than later."

He sighed and nodded before opening a random door and pushing me inside. I fumbled for the light switch as he followed me and closed the door behind him. Then I realised it was the tiny janitors closet.

Not exactly a brilliant place to be alone with a vampire.

He stood as far away from me as possible, back pressed against the opposite wall. Despite this we were only about two feet apart. He folded his arms over his chest and glared slightly. "Well? I'm waiting."

I took a deep breath. I felt slightly intimidated by him knowing now what he was, knowing he could kill me with merely a flick of his wrist.

He sighed impatiently. "Fine. I'll talk, you listen."

I nodded. "Okay."

He was reluctant, I could tell. "Right, here goes. I'm okay with sunlight, but I can't stay out in it for too long otherwise I become weak. Garlic, holy water, and mirrors don't affect me, but a stake can kill me. I don't need an invite to enter someone's house, and I don't sparkle either. I'm not good around humans, especially when they have open wounds," He eyed me pointedly, "That's why I don't live in town,

"There aren't many vampires left in the world; we're classed as a dying race. I have absolutely no desire to create any new vampires," He shuddered, "I wouldn't want anyone to have this life. My eyes change colour depending on how thirsty I am. If I'm close to a human, my eyes will become darker because I can smell their blood. You don't see my fangs until I'm about to attack or if I'm severely pissed off. I can't survive from animal blood, so yes, I do drink human blood," He watched as I edged away from him slightly, "but I don't kill them. I--" He swallowed. I could see that he was uncomfortable talking about this.

"Let's move on." I said hurriedly, noticing that his eyes got darker as he watched me. It was even more unnerving now that I knew what it meant. He nodded in agreement before clearing his throat.

"I have...enhanced abilities. I am slightly, well, a lot stronger and faster than an average human, which is how I was able to snap that pen so easily. My sight is more defined, my hearing clearer and my sense of smell sharper and more acute. I can also sense thought patterns. I can't actually know what you're thinking, but I can guess. For instance, right now you're...slightly scared. No, that's not the word. Intimidated. That's it. Not sure what to make of me," He took a step closer.

"Um, Zayden..." I said, noticing his eyes were rapidly turning from a deep navy blue to black.

He ignored me. He seemed to be in some sort of trance, "I can smell your blood from here. I can hear your heart beating in your chest. I can sense your fear," He said as he came closer. He braced his hands on the wall either side of my head. I swallowed.

"Adrenaline makes the blood taste sweeter. It's running through your veins, right now. I can hear your pulse," He murmured, trailing his fingertips down my neck to my pulse point. I tried not to shiver at his touch, but this was the closest he'd ever been to me, despite the fact he wanted to kill me. I didn't move.

He sighed and closed his eyes, "I'm so thirsty..."

I felt my heart racing, but it wasn't from fear. His face was only inches from mine, I could feel his breath on my face.

"Say cheese!" Someone snickered from the doorway. The flash of a cell phone camera went off. Zayden jumped away from me the same time I whipped my head around to see Faye standing in the doorway, smirking.

"Now, who should see this picture first?" She said, grinning evilly, "Facebook? No, I've got a better idea! I think Dan will be very interested to see this..."

"We weren't doing anything." I said, glaring at her. Bitch.

"Oh, I'm sure you weren't, Adira honey," Her voice was sarcastic, "But then why were you two in the janitor's closet, in the middle of class, all alone? I have to ask."

"It's not what it looks like."

She raised an eyebrow. "Riiight."

"Faye," I sighed, "Seriously? What's your problem? Did you see us making out? No. Then what's the point?"

She stepped closer and tried to tower over me, which she failed at considering I was several inches taller. I looked around to see Zayden had gone.

"Because," She hissed, "I've liked Zayden ever since he arrived here, and them you come in and suddenly all he's interested in is YOU! It's not fair, I want my $50!"

"Wait...you like Zayden?"

"Not so loud!" She cried.

"Okay," That was a bit of a shock, "If it makes you feel better there's nothing going on between us. I can put in a good word for you...if you want?"

She nodded. "That...that would be great. Um, thanks. But I want my fifty bucks. So here's the deal. Pay me, and I won't tell Dan about this. I'll delete the picture too. Deal?" She held out her hand.

I gritted my teeth. Looks like this would be coming out of my college fund. "Fine. Deal." I shoook her hand.

She deleted the picture quickly before smiling hesitantly and walking off in the opposite direction.

I sighed, and leant against the wall. Great day so far. Not. Zayden had nearly killed me, and now I owed Faye fifty freaking dollars.

I suddenly realised that I'd almost let a vampire bite me. Oh my God. if I wasn't careful I'd end up like Sean. The thought made me shiver.

But the thing that puzzled me the most was, how come hadn't been scared? That was weird.

And just what was that feeling I had when he came close to me? I was meant to be liking Dan, and I did, but something had changed.

Do I seriously have a crush on a vampire?