Chapter 1: Lack of Color

Start from the beginning

                “You will all be painting scenery, but I want you to incorporate feeling into it! I want you to draw out an important place to you; it could be inside or out. So you have a homework assignment.” The whole class started grumbling, irritated. The teacher rolled her eyes and ignored them. “I want you to all bring in your drawings tomorrow, on these canvases, of your scenery.”

                The teacher glared at the class as everyone erupted in whispered complaints. They eventually died down when they saw her ‘No Nonsense’ look was on.

                “When you look at this picture, what do you feel?” she asked the class.

                “Like shooting myself,” one of the guys in the back mumbled sarcastically.

                “Horny,” one said a bit louder, causing a few boys to snicker.

                When no one answered and we all sat and gave her blank looks, she sighed, answering her own question.

                “Looking at this, you might get a sense of adventure and maybe a little nostalgic about being eight again. Of course, everyone feels differently.”

                One of my classmates raised his hand. She called on him and he let his excuse slide.

                “Can’t we have this assigned Wednesday instead? There’s a game tonight, and everyone will be there. I won’t have time for this because I have practice right after school!”

                Ms. Berry shook her head, “Collin, I’m sure you can figure something out. This should only take an hour of your day… just a rough outline on one of the canvases.”

                Ten more minutes went by of complaints. People were angry because we had to carry the canvases home, and they were so big. People claimed to not have time tonight because of the game. Some even said that they needed more time to think this project through better.

                Finally Ms. Berry snapped, “Fine! I would prefer you draw it tonight, but if you do not have the time, I will accept a printed picture of your scenery that you can start drawing in class instead tomorrow by copying it from the picture.”

                More excuses flourished, but Ms. Berry didn’t budge any further. She made the class quiet down again and continued, “I’ll give you guys the last five minutes of class to brainstorm and chat.”

                She walked back behind her desk. I think the real reason we had time to ‘brain storm’ was so that she had the time to text her boyfriend. By the glowing smirk on her face as she hid her phone under her desk to text, I could tell I was right.

                Ms. Berry was in her 20’s and I could tell this was her first teaching job. She used to be a huge push over until two weeks ago, when one of the students had pulled a prank on her. He ‘accidently’ spilt a bucket of paint all over her new mini skirt (what was a teacher doing wearing a mini skirt anyways?). That was when we had pushed her too far. Now she is probably one of the strictest teachers in the whole building.

                Despite that, I actually really like her. I could tell that she’s a very deep person and can read people like they’re books. It seems like she understands me too well, even though no one else does. Whenever we had a chat about the project, it was as if she could see right through me and could tell I wasn’t having a good day.